Cherry Cabinet WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I Started this on Friday afternoon and got it to this point by Sunday night. It has a few splotchy places but over all I am pleased. I still have doors to make for the top opening and an upper Hutch. It is Cherry Just in case. Oh ANd Im going to do wipe on poly.

Cherry_cabinet_2.jpg

Cherry_cabinet_1.jpg

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Re: CHerry Cab WIP

Wow, you've had a productive weekend. Is it final sanded awaiting finish?

Is it solid construction except for the back panel? What joinery method did you use? (Too many questions, huh??) :)

I love cherry! That's a very pretty piece that will grow lovelier with time! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

J

jeff...

Great looking clean lines on that base :icon_thum what kind of stain did you use?

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Re: CHerry Cab WIP

Wow, you've had a productive weekend. Is it final sanded awaiting finish?

Is it solid construction except for the back panel? What joinery method did you use? (Too many questions, huh??) :)

I love cherry! That's a very pretty piece that will grow lovelier with time! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

It is 3/4 plywood Shop grade from wall lumber. with 3/4 face frame from solid Cherry. The frame is put together using the Kreg Pocket hole system and the frame is glued on and a few pin nails in the face. I found a very good wood putty that matched the color of cherry and when stained you would have a hard time seeing it. I will get the name later It escapes me for now. The top is plywood with Ogee (sp?) molding glued to the edge. sanded it all with 120 grit and then 150.

I used Minwax stain Cherry color.
I will let it dry and tomorrow put Satin Poly on it.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Nice job, looking forward to the finished pics. Are you going to use Minwax wipe-on ploy? I've been using this on some refinishing projects (mostly chairs) and am very happy with the results.

Dan C.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Nice job, looking forward to the finished pics. Are you going to use Minwax wipe-on ploy? I've been using this on some refinishing projects (mostly chairs) and am very happy with the results.

Dan C.

I might. im still working with that. What do you use to wipe it on?

I might spray on poly.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Jon,

I use a clean piece of used cotton (old T shirts) and it works real well. I've also used a foam brush to cover an area and then have gone back with the cotton rag to smooth out and that works great on flat surfaces. You'll need to do a few more coats than if you were brushing, but I think the result is well worth the little extra time/effort.

If you decide to spray...what will you spray?

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Jon,

I use a clean piece of used cotton (old T shirts) and it works real well. I've also used a foam brush to cover an area and then have gone back with the cotton rag to smooth out and that works great on flat surfaces. You'll need to do a few more coats than if you were brushing, but I think the result is well worth the little extra time/effort.

If you decide to spray...what will you spray?

I have a paint gun and I used it last night with the poly and it did great on the test piece. i am going to see if it does ok its super smooth.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
One coat of poly on I used a foam brush for the first coat. I figure after I sand it you will never know if it was a wipe on or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS