Charlotte Carving Get Together ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MT native

New User
Jane
Pete,
Count me in. I will look at my stock and see what basswood I can bring along.

Mike, I live half way between Elkin and Dobson ( near Shelton vineyards & I-77). I'd be happy to share the drive with you. I also have a 39mpg car so we can take either M to get directionone. Let me know. Pete I'll send you a PM to get directions.
Thanks for setting this up.
Jane

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Pete, this is looking like it's going to be a lot of fun! Not to mention I'll have the chance to learn from some extremely talented people!!

Is there anything I can bring? Drinks, snacks?

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Is there anything I can bring? Drinks, snacks?

We'll have coffee and Carol will probably supply some baked goods. :eusa_danc
We don't usually have any soft drinks so maybe some Coke, Iced Tea, etc.

Oh, and like they say "You can never have to many [STRIKE]clamps[/STRIKE] bandaids !!!

pete

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Is this becoming a "bring your own chair" event?

I have 2 chairs and a stool so it might not be a bad idea to bring your own. A chair will work if you want to carve/whittle something hand held but a stool is better if you want to work on a bench and don't like to stand.

Also (to everyone) bring some wood if you can. A green tree branch is good if you want to do a spoon.

pete

ccccarving

New User
Charles
Pete.
Bad news but good news. I'm not going to make it, but my grandkids are coming in Friday and Saturday. Hope I can make it next time.

Charlie

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Charlie,

That's great news! Enjoy the time with your grandbabies. We'll miss ya though ;-)

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Pete - It too looks like I can't attend as I'm going to round trip that day to the crawl (but I think you already knew that was a huge possibility)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Gas isn't that bad towards Raliegh, my folks live in Sanford and they haven't had any problems at all. It's just the crazy people in Charlotte.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Are you still going with the way gas is right now?

Yeah man. Tightening up now only makes the situation worse. Plus, like Phillip said, the problem is not supposed to be as bad across the state ... Charlotte is just getting killed because of everyone rushing out at once.

cskipper

Cathy
I found very few stations with gas when driving home from work in Greer yesterday evening. Several of the Greer stations have had gas more often than not, but apparently that secret got out. I finally found that the Hotspot in Chosen had gas. Since I drive 100 miles a day, I have been topping off my tank every day so I wasn't really worried, but it does cause me to be concerned. I don't know if anyone in Rutherford County has gas.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Cathy, sorry you couldn't make it.

We had a great time! Unfortunately I only got a couple pics of a budding young carver. MikeH's daughter Katie really had fun! We had to pry her away from the wood to go tto lunch and as soon as we were back she made a beeline back to it!

IMG_06001.JPG

IMG_05991.JPG

I think Mike Davis took a couple more pics!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Here's a group shot:
IMG_0297.JPG

and another of our star pupil :icon_thum
IMG_03001.JPG

This is Jane trying out the different styles of chisels:
IMG_0299.JPG

I really enjoyed the day. We will definitely have to do this again!

pete

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
Looks like Katie was doing really well. jane - one word of caution - be careful chiseling toward yourself! What did the rest of you guys do? Sorry I missed it - looks like it was fun!

We did get to meet our grandaughter who is 8 - hadn't seen her since she was about 2.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Pete, Let me thank you again for hosting this! I learned that carving is a lot like turning, it's a VERY slippery slope ;-)

It was great to hang out with everyone and even get a little carving done!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Pete:

Obviously I was not there, but that was a cool idea you made into reality. Sorry I couuld not attend but it looks like everyone enjoyed it. Kudos to you. :eusa_clap

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS