Center for Furniture Craftsmanship

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Hi all. It has been a while since I posted. The site has grown and seems very healthy. I had the fortune to attend the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport, Main last week. http://www.woodschool.org This is an amazing school with an international exposure.

I attended the SAWN VENEER class with Craig Stevens who studied for two years under Krenof at THE COLLEGE of the REDWOODS. He is quite an artist and does a good job to impart his knowledge and skills to his students.

Steve Lanier and I drove up first stopping at Wintertur for a FURNITURE and ARCHITECTURAL tour. This is the DUPONT home is Wilmington, Delaware who's most recent DUPONT inhabitant collected early American fine furniture. There many examples of beautiful work. Then we drove to western Massachusetts to visit the Hancock Shaker Village. It is one of the last significant villages of its kine. They were very appreciative of our interest in the craftsmanship and techniques. There are many examples of simple, functional and beautiful furniture when you get away from the pegs and oval boxes.

We then drove to Camden, Main where we stayed for the class. Camden is a picturesque small town on a cove. It is near Rockport and Rockford if anyone knows the area.

The drive was a bit over 2100 miles in all but driving was the best way to carry all of the tools and supplies, kind of like a "shoe and tell"

Lie-Nielsen is about 10 miles away and just happen to have an open house last weekend. I did learn a lot about preparing scraper cards, sharpening plane irons, etc as there were many demonstrations going on. With great discipline I kept my purchases to a minimum ( a subjective concept).

b4man

New User
Barbara
Lucky dog!:icon_thum

Take any pix?

Although your post was very nice, you've really whet my appetite! More, more!:eusa_clap

Barbara

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
John, that sounds like an outstanding trip! I was fortunate enough to take several tours of Winterthur back in 1990; it is indeed a very special place and full of phenominal examples of American furniture.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Hi Scott.

Yes, it i a fantastic place to get inspired. I saw so many examples of of "how to's" and "I want to try that" that I came away really up beat. As I am finishing a Black Walnut vanity, I find my self looking very closely at the finish work (dang lint) and thinking about the wonderful finishes that i saw there (lint free).

I hope all is well with your mill and you are back in full production.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Barbara,

I did not take any pic's. I was a bit selfish about that in a way. At Winterture pictures are not allowed, at the Hancock shaker village they were but I was so into what they were doing I did not think about pictures. At the school, well, you tend to get so focused on what is on your workbench you for get most everything els. Most everyone comes early by an hour or two and stays late by several hours. It is not a 9 to 5 thing, truly an immersion of a bunch of wood nerds that feeds off of each other.

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
John, I'm jealous. I Want to go back for a class this fall or next. Isn't it a fabulous place? And the pieces created by the staff and students are unreal.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Heck, John. You may as well have gone on to Nova Scotia and Cape Breton :mrgreen:
Sounds like a wonderful experience in so many ways. Camden is a truly beautiful town and great seafood is abundant in the area :icon_thum

Roger

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Hi there Roger,

It has been a while. I hope you are well. Camden is a beautiful place. I tried to eat all of the seafood in town but I failed. I tried to drink all of the gin in town and I failed at that as well. BUT, you know, I just do not feel like a failure at this point.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors