Celtic Dagger

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenH

New User
Ken
It has been awhile since I have posted anything on the site. I’ve gone from the dark side to the bright lights of a forge.

Below is a knife I recently finished, where I used the pen turner’s technique to make a Celtic knot for the handle. The Handle is made of a maple burl and black walnut, the guard is nickel sliver, and the spacer and pommel are copper. The overall length is 10.75 inches. The knife’s steel is 1075 (a simple high carbon steel).

Ken

31-1.JPG

31-5.JPG

31-3.JPG

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Very nice work Ken!

I especially like the hamon line and the copper fittings.

Did you laser etch your name? It looks great.

KenH

New User
Ken
Yes Mark, I put a clay coating down the center of the blade during the heat treating/quenching process.

Mike, I use a electro chemical process. I place a stencil on the knife and run a 15 volt DC current through a contact pad soaked in a salt water solution.

Thanks for the kind comments.

Ken

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Ken, that's just awesome!
I especially like the differential hardening on the blade.
Mine never seem to show the hamon that clearly. Do you etch the blade to bring out the hamon or ???.
May I ask where you get your steel? I've been looking for a supplier for 1075 or 1095 steels.
once again, beautiful work. :icon_cheers
-Mike P.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Very nice looking knife.
I love seeing wood incorporated with other disciplines!
You did well in allowing the woodworking and metal working skills to work in harmony.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
looks great Ken. I like the elongated look to the celtic knot. Do you remember what angle you cut the grooves in the for knot pieces?

Dan

KenH

New User
Ken
Dan, I don't remember what angle the cut saw. I was more focused on making the knot about 3 inches long.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS