Cell Phone Numbers Go Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Today, all cell phone numbers go public. This means your cell number is available to telemarketers, who can begin calling you on your cell phone. You will pay for the calls. (air time):no:

You can register your cell phone on the National Do Not Call List by calling 888-382-1222. This is NOT a hoax, and is sponsored by the North Carolina Attorney General's office. I registered mine this morning.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Wow, thanks for the info Reggie.

You can also register online here https://www.donotcall.gov/ and it looks like registrations no longer expire! :icon_thum I added our cell phones back years ago when they first started this just in case. It looks like you can even confirm your numbers are on the list.

Brian.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I've got caller ID on my phone, if I don't know the number they can leave a voice mail (which is free for me to check) and then I can call them back if I desire (when my time is free)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Hey Reggie, where'd you get the info from?

Friend of mine in NY who is usually very accurate with this type thing. This much is sure: The number IS the Do Not Call number, you CAN verify by going on line. You WIll receive an e mail verifying that you have registered your number.

I also have caller ID, but, that doesn't seem to prevent some telemarketers from calling, especially at dinner time etc. I just prefer not to receive the calls if possible.

Didn't mean to open Pandora's box here. Was just FYI.

:wsmile:

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Which part?
Not sure what you mean. The Snopes article basically says that this warning is False (a 411 directory, which has not yet seen the light of day, is an opt in only service, and is not being given to telemarketers - there's more detail in the article).

gator

George
Corporate Member
Which part?

You have to scroll through several examples of e-mails to get to the article at the bottom which explains about the 'proposed' cell phone 411 compact and gives the reasons why the numbers are not currently available to telemarketers.

George

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I may be completely off base with this so someone let me know if I am.

If you place your cell number on the do not call list the non profit groups, which are not controlled by the do not call law, will be able to obtain your number by subscribing to the national do not call list. You then subject yourself to calls from these groups.

We are not receiving any calls now so I am going to wait until it becomes a problem before going to the do not call list.

Allan Campbell

New User
Allan
Re: From The National Do Not Call Registry website

For what it's worth, here's what the govenment says:

1. What Phone Numbers Can I Register?
  2. Can I register my cell phone on the National Do Not Call Registry?

Yes, you may place your personal cell phone number on the National Do Not Call Registry. The registry has accepted cell phone numbers since it opened for registrations in June 2003. There is no deadline to register a home or cell phone number on the Registry.
    You may have received an email telling you that your cell phone is about to be assaulted by telemarketing calls as a result of a new cell phone number database; however, that is not the case. FCC regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers don’t call consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
We registered ours (home land-line and cell phones) in 2005 and have had no political or charity calls on the cell phones yet. (Wish I could say the same for the home phone). When we registered ours, we were told it was good for five years, and a check today verified they are still on the list. I don't know if this provision has been changed since.

Realize that the do-not-call enforcement does not start until 31 days after you register your phone.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS