Cedar Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Is eastern red cedar ok for turning when still wet? I had a co-worker bring me a freshly cut erc tree earlier this week. I would love to make some weed pots out of it. The size is about what I need to start with. It has the usual cedar limbs that have been trimmed. I love red cedar and think the tree would make some nice weed pots. The places where the limbs were would make for some pretty contrast between the red and the yellowish color. Thanks in advance.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The only time I have turned green Cedar it started cracking on me before I could even get it roughed out. But it was a hunk from a stump, with some pretty wild figure. ERC is supposed to be one of the drier wood right off the stump. I was quite surprised at this reaction. I guess I shouldn't have taken that last smoke break.
YMMV, as you don't smoke....
Dave:)

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have turned a little green ERC. Almost wish I'd been wearing a raincoat!
I thought it turned nicely, but it may split as it dries.

TracyP

Tracy
I have turned a little green ERC. Almost wish I'd been wearing a raincoat!
I thought it turned nicely, but it may split as it dries.

Actually if it splits when drying, that would not be terrible as long as it wasn't too bad. I think the minor splits add character.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Tracy ERC is usually real dry right off the stump. It don't like heat very much at all or it will split. When sawing it on the mill I have to pour on the water. If I run a dry blade the heat generated will split the lumber. I suspect putting it on a spinny machine a pushing a wood beater into it will generate enough heat for it to split. maybe take a lot of real light cuts so you don't generate heat or soak you blanks in a creek or a pond for a while. This is just a wild guess since I have no idea about spinny machines and wood beaters. I never had any complaints about ERC pen blanks I made but then again you don't remove a lot of wood make a pen put of a 7/8" sq x 6" long block.

TracyP

Tracy
Tracy ERC is usually real dry right off the stump. It don't like heat very much at all or it will split. When sawing it on the mill I have to pour on the water. If I run a dry blade the heat generated will split the lumber. I suspect putting it on a spinny machine a pushing a wood beater into it will generate enough heat for it to split. maybe take a lot of real light cuts so you don't generate heat or soak you blanks in a creek or a pond for a while. This is just a wild guess since I have no idea about spinny machines and wood beaters. I never had any complaints about ERC pen blanks I made but then again you don't remove a lot of wood make a pen put of a 7/8" sq x 6" long block.

Thank you Jeff. That is some good information and I will follow it to the letter. I believe you know more about the spinny machines than you are letting on to:gar-La;.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Thank you Jeff. That is some good information and I will follow it to the letter. I believe you know more about the spinny machines than you are letting on to:gar-La;.

Could it be possible that Jeff is the Sith Lord that we have been looking for, he does know a lot more then you would think? :widea:

reprosser

New User
Rick
I turned this 10" red cedar bowl green. Only got 1 small crack on the rim. I think it was due to heat from sanding. Try a weed pot and see how it goes.

TulipBowlhighviewweb.jpg

Sir Chiz

New User
Phil
Tracy, beware of powder post bealtes and carpenter ants, I got some a while back and it was loaded with livestock, no moths though. :wink_smil
ERC/Juniper is quite soft, keep your tools sharp.
Start treating knot holes with thin CA before you start turning,and avoid the pith if you can.
This bowl started to crack by the time I started hollowing the inside, so I turned away the cracks and applied a coat of varnish to the outside before I continued to hollow, that stopped it from crackng more.
It soaked up a lot of varnish.

Red_Cedar_Bowl.jpg

Phil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS