carved deer mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
This was a commission carved from white pine and avodire. I made a jig for the oval and used biscuits to join the pieces together. The deer and leaves were carved from avodire (think that is how it is spelled) which is stronger but similar in color. It was a really fun piece and I will probably do another just for myself. Probably put a beveled mirror in it as well to really jazz it up.

Any and all comments welcome, hope all had a good weekend!

Stave
www.stromcarver.com

stave

New User
stave
It is relatively easy, doesn't burn with burrs and is similar to mahogany in a lot of ways. Got kind of a funky smell. The grain is also pretty consistent.

Stave

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Nice Work :thumbs_up

What do you use to attach the leaves to the mirror?

pete

stave

New User
stave
I use epoxy to attach the leaves and now that I have a new pin nailer I will use that as well. The leaves are fitted to each location so that there is usually three points of contact to secure with. The acorns are the tough ones to attach but the nailer ought to make that really easy. You have to love a good tool.

Stave
www.stromcarver.com

mikeacg

New User
Mike
Great looking piece! I wonder how much time you could save by looking at using CNC equipment for some of the simpler parts of this project like the mirror frame. I will have to look at that wood you used since I have not used it yet. Thanks for sharing!!!

Mike

stave

New User
stave
A cnc would do wonders for production work no doubt. I try not to do multiples of anything anymore. I once made candle holders with three in a set. It didn't take me long to realize that I was a one man factory and and that was not why I became self employed.
Life is short and I for one want to have as much fun as possible...won't catch me doing production work again!
Think I will go out to the shop and have some fun beating on some wood.

Stave

b4man

New User
Barbara
Stave, you are my hero:icon_thum

Your art is beautiful. Your skill is awesome. Your attitude is spiritual:thumbs_up

I hope I get to meet you someday.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Mark,

Would you consider teaching a small class? A few of us get together in Greensboro each month and would love to learn some carving basics. Maybe just an oak leaf?

stave

New User
stave
I really do appreciate all the kind comments, they really do inspire me to work and try harder to produce good pieces...thank you.

I think the possibility of doing a carving class is possible. Send me a PM about what you are thinking and how many people would be interested and we can discuss the possibilities.

Stave

www.stromcarver.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS