Carter Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice Figures

New User
Sharon Barrett & Paula LaBelle
Does anyone have a Mini Max 16" bandsaw? I'm thinking of getting some of the Carter upgrades (blade guides, stabilizer, tension
) and was wondering if anyone has this saw and has bought the any of the upgrades. Did it make a big difference over the stock guides?

Thanks, Paula

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I remember reading somewhere that there were some issues with the newer versions of the MM saws with Carter guides. Something about a bar not being long enough or something.

Are you not happy with the stock guides? Reason I ask is I sometimes wonder if I should get the Carter guides, but really haven't had any reason to justify doing it.

Nice Figures

New User
Hi Travis, thanks for the response. I haven't had any problems with the stock guides but I've read so much about the Carter guides and blade stabilizer making a big difference in the performance of a saw that it has me wondering if I'm missing something and if they do make a difference is it worth the money for the upgrade.

Paula

woodguy1975

New User
John
I've got a MM16 with the stock guides and two Meber 24" (Laguna LT24s) with Carter Precision guides. I can tell you that all three saws can yeild the same cut quality given proper setup. One adverse point for the Carter guides is adjustment. Trust me on this. the stock guides will save you time in adjusting the guides if you routinely change band width. The carters are such a pain to adjust that I simply leave the Mebers setup with a fixed blade width.

I'd recommend sticking with the stock guides and save you money for a carbide blade or some other shop goodie. I've sawn 1/32" veneer on my MM16 with carbide blade and good adjustments. I had several NCWWers witness the resaw when I did it. I was making 12" wide maple paper. :) Now that resaw took hrs of finetuning the fence and guides and a new carbide blade. Could I do it again? Probably, but I would never spend that much time setting up the saw to do that again.

Good Luck,

John

Nice Figures

New User
Hi John, thanks, this is just the information I was looking for from someone that has used the Carter guides. We do run carbon blades and have experienced very good results with the stock guides. You just saved me some $$$$, now I have even more justification for spending money on that bowl saver set up I've been wanting......:eusa_danc

Paula

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I do not know about the guides but Jeremy(Woodwrangler) has had some very nice things to say about the Carter Stabilzer. I have found his take on things to be pretty helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS