Can These be Converted to Full Suspension Drawer Slides?

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Below are pictures of our kitchen pantry cabinet and as is evident, the drawer slides are their Achilles heel. Would it be possible to change them out to very heavy duty full-extension drawer slides? It appears that I would have to replace the plastic spacers with something more substantial.

Any guidance is appreciated.
IMG_20220722_195734.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220722_195715.jpg
    IMG_20220722_195715.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
yes you can change the drawer slides but the spacers need to stay unless you build bigger drawers

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
You will have to carefully check the specifications of any new drawer guide to see what will work. Other than that the short answer is yes.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would replace the plastic spacers with plywood strips to give better support for the full extension slides, especially if you expect to add more weight.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Below are pictures of our kitchen pantry cabinet and as is evident, the drawer slides are their Achilles heel. Would it be possible to change them out to very heavy duty full-extension drawer slides? It appears that i would have to replace the plastic spacers with something more substantial.

Any guidance is appreciated.

View attachment 212104

I would replace the plastic spacers with plywood strips to give better support for the full extension slides, especially if you expect to add more weight.
This is along the line of my original thoughts for improving this design. Several of the plastic spacers have broken and no longer support the drawer/shelves. Another addition to my household list.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You an get face frame clips, and rear suppot clips for most any full extension drawer guides. Looking at the pictures, looks like you are loosing about an inch and a half on each side of the drawer boxes. By building new drawer boxes, you can gain back a couple inches of width. At the rear, you could run a single vertical of ply on each side to fasten guides to, along with face frame clips at the front. Remember, these are drawers/ trays, not furniture, so butt joints, glued, with pocket screws are more than adequate. You can make both sides and bottom from 1/2" Baltic birch ply, or the 1/2 " birch plywood (Columbia Forest Products) that HD sells. Cut a rabbet on sides and front of bottom, with a dado in sides and front. Rear just drops down onto bottom with glue and brads. Cut some edging for tops which are visible.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS