Can anyone rcomend..

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Scott, instead of those, I would consider looking at a larger used 6" jointer like the Ridgid, or the Delta that Lowe's carries. More motor, longer bed, which ultimately means you can do more with the machine. You don't have to buy new, many members here and on other forums offer up 6" machines when upgrading. I really think the benchtop models would soon be disappointing.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Scott, welcome to the group!!
Out of the two jointers you linked to I would recommend the larger 6" jointer. I had a 4" a long time ago and it really limited what I could do with it.
That said, if you can spend a little more $$ I would recommend the Ridgid 6" floor model -
http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgdjntrrvu.html
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/JP0610-Jointer/

The Craftsman bench top is going to limit you in the length of stock you can joint, and doesn't have much power or mass to provide a really smooth cut.

I have the Ridgid and now wish I had a larger jointer. I hate ripping wide stock to joint it and then gluing it back together.
The best tool mantra is "Buy the Best that You can Afford"
HTH,
Dave:)

Nativespec

New User
David
You might try finding a used 6" on CL. I bout a $300 Craftsman at Sears on "closeout" and it works fine. The key is setting it up.

David

newtonc

New User
jak
I think in the end I always regret buying anything craftsman.With the exception of their sockets and wrenches I would not recommend looking in the craftsman direction.
I do agree with what everyone has said though.Try to get at least 6".And the price does jump once you get into the floor models,but they are worth it.
And used is sometimes better.And in most cases the older the better.You may have to replace the motor but the machines are heavy and true.

Nativespec

New User
David
For a beginner's jointer (in my oppinion) most of the $300 -$450 6" jointers are about the same, I suspect they are manufactured on the same line. You can find a used 6" on CL quite often.

I agree with the Craftsman oppinion, but my jointer is fine.

I would not buy anything from Sears that had more than one piece.

newtonc

New User
jak
Sorry David that craftsman comment was not a personal jab at you.
I'm just speaking from far to many mistakes I have made by buying craftsman in the first place.Some I still deal with.One I have to ride everytime I mow.

Nativespec

New User
David
None taken. I do feel the same about Sears tools. I did buy a 7" grinder from Sears, but I live across the street from Crabtree Valley and I was in a hurry. I have taken many things back to Sears and I do avoid going there.

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to the group Scott.

I got the 6" Jet last March during the Woodcraft 10% blowout (this thread) and have been pleased. Used ones do come available if you have the time and patience to wait. Just keep a regular check on the buy and sell tools, and the found/hot deals forums

I'm with Dave buy the best you can afford, but also let your use dictate how much your going to spend. If you have a small shop or mainly do small projects like boxes then a benchtop may be fine only you can answer that though. Good luck on search

Flyingspyder

New User
Scott
Thanks for all the advice so far guys. Right now I only need a small machine for small boxes, but that is because I am just learning. I agree that I would soon outgrow a benchtop, so I am seriously considering a floor model. Finances are tight right now, but it would be better to wait and spend a little more on a bigger machine then to have to try to upgrade a whole new machine later.
Thanks again, Scott

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have a 4 1/8" Craftsman, that was given to me as a gift about 10 years ago. From the listed specs, the one you linked has a 2 1/2" longer overall table length and a more powerful motor (10a as opposed to 5.6a with mine). Mine sits on the shelf and I use a Stanley Jointer plane because it works better and is more accurate:
Cons (of mine):
1. Had to flatten the infeed and outfeed tables, as well as smooth them. The mill cutter marks were so bad you almost could not push wood across them
2. Had to level the infeed table. This is a major pain and requires 50% diassembly of the unit and is done with it laying on its side, setting it back up to check, repeat, repeat, etc. Setting upside down on a flat surface speeds things up but is difficult with the front panel hanging in the way with all the wires, etc.
3. Blades do not hold an edge and are ridiculously difficult to adjust. Okay for pine or poplar, but will start to dull after about 10 feet of white oak.
4. Fence is flimsy and will not hold its setting as to being vertical. Readjusted and shimmed the mounts, but they are cast in a quarter circle to allow tilting the fence, and are not true, so fence goes out of alignment as soon as it is moved.
5. LOUD
6. Tables are short: Infeed 9" and outfeed 10" It looks like the new one has extended the tables a smidgeon but kept the same length fence.

Pros:
1. At about 38 lbs, easy to move around
2. The soft blades are easy to sharpen yourself (Sharpening takes about 1/4 the time of adjusting them)
3. Mine came with nice push blocks that I use with the TS.

The newer model may have addressed some of these deficiencies, but unless all you ever plan to do is small projects, I would not get the small one. A decent 10" table saw with a good blade and a couple jigs will square and flatten a board better than this will, as well as do a lot more besides. This will flatten a slightly wider (1/2") board providing you can get it accurate.

JMTCW

Go

cskipper

Cathy
Pros:
1. At about 38 lbs, easy to move around
2. The soft blades are easy to sharpen yourself (Sharpening takes about 1/4 the time of adjusting them)
3. Mine came with nice push blocks that I use with the tablesaw.

Kind of sounds like a good paper weight or counterbalance for something. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors