Campbell Hausfeld 80 gallon four cylinder compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Gloat and Hot deal :)

While returning some stuff at Lowes, I saw that the Campbell Hausfeld 80 gallon compressor had been put on clearance from $799 down to $439.45. I asked the sales manager if he would go lower, so he made a phone call, and offered me $375. I countered with $300, and we settled on $325!! :rotflm:

I was just seeing if he would bite... I had no anticipation of actually getting a new compressor to replace my old 60 gallon, but the price was right. After $140 of gift cards, I got out the door really cheap.

Specs:

16.1 SCFM @ 90 PSI (I think it gives 14 or so at 140 PSI)
5 running horsepower
140 Max PSI
Quad cylinder cast iron pump (not aluminum with cast iron sleeves)
3 year ON-SITE warranty - they come to you to fix it :)

Link to Lowes site:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_292655-1126...oductId=3111463&N=0&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

This seems to be the exact same as the TQ3104 by campbell Hausfeld, so that might turn up some more info.

Campbell Hausfeld is woefully lacking in info on their site - no spec sheet at all to speak of, but for $325, I can't really complain too much.

One more thing - this item was marked as NS or non-stock in the system for the Lowes here in Greenville. Other Lowes stores generally do NOT price match items which were NS in another store but not in their store. Don't be angry if you go to your local Lowes and they say they can't touch it. If it's not NS, then they're telling the truth. They can however look in the inventory system at surrounding stores to find if there is on NS at another location.

It's late, but I'll get a receipt up sometime if needed.

Last edited:

ehpoole

Ethan
Congratulations on your new purchase.

I'm also in the process of installing my recent compressor purchase as well, the 3-cylinder single-stage 80-gallon Kobalt compressor (Model #221580, with the Dayleap version pump) that Lowes carries. During the Father's Day weekend they had it for 20% off and I cashed in $250 in credit card points which all-in-all made an $800 compressor on sale for $639 - $250 in CC points for a total of $389.... plus $79 for delivery because I did not feel like bothering with making my father and I (I'm disabled) man-handle a top-heavy 500+ lbs beast.

My one great pet peave was (if you didn't catch my rant in the bandsaw defect discussion) that someone over in China assembled the bearing carrier plate with a torn-up gasket which required major disassembly to get to so that I could then fabricate a replacement gasket. I also went ahead and replaced the original belt with a link belt (Power Twist) because I find those much easier to tension properly on equipment that doesn't readily provide for easy tensioning adjustments (getting to the carrier plate meant sacrificing the factory alignment and tensioning). I will also install an extension nipple on the oil drain after I complete the first oil change (it arrives with oil preinstalled) -- the first oil change is probably going to be a mess but subsequent changes will be a breeze after the mod. Compared to my older 6-gallon Bostitch pancake, my new toy can really move the air -- it was quite a good breeze running with the outlet port wide-open during the initial break-in run. Ultimately, I'll also enlarge the 3/8" outlet port the factory provided with a 3/4" or 1" port (not really sure why they went 3/8" on an 80-gallon tank).

As soon as I get to feeling a little better I'll get about 60+ft of 1/2" copper tubing temporarily installed to plumb the compressor into my present workshop. I'm just doing a relatively minimal installation (complete with 40-50ft power cord) because we are seriously discussing building a dedicated workshop (1000 sq/ft MOL shop on first floor with greenhouse and possible library above) in the next couple years. If that all pans out, my future shop will be plumbed with 3/4" copper ringing the entire perimeter of the shop (fed from both ends for pressure balancing) with 1/2" drops (recycled from the plumbing I'm installing in my existing workshop/garage).

I looked up info from CH on your compressor (what there was available) .. if your 3-year warranty is from CH and your warranty agreement has the same terms as what they have posted online, you may be stunned at what is NOT covered after the second year. The CH contract I read while looking up your new compressor details pretty much exluded everything but the bare tank, piston heads, shoulder pins, conrods, crankshaft, and pump housing after the first year. Even the pulleys, flywheel, bolts, motor, pressure switch, etc. were all excluded from coverage after the first year! Not that it matters as much if, like me, you prefer to make your own repairs anyhow, but if you were counting on the 3-years on-site then you may want to double-check the terms unless your warranty is from Lowes Extended Warranty rather than the stock CH warranty I read (or an otherwise entirely different contract than that online). Just thought I'd mention this since I was a little stunned at what CH excluded from their warranty coverage on the premise that it is a 'maintenance item'.

I hope you enjoy your new [STRIKE]toy[/STRIKE] tool!

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I just read through the warranty that came in the paperwork, and only the electric motor and check valves aren't covered after 1 year. This unit was manufactured in Ohio, and is considered one of their "extreme duty" compressors, which would still retain full warranty even if installed in an industrial setting. Full ASME tank compliance :)

All the reviews of the CH I could find were good, but the Kobalt was sitting around two stars.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Awesome Deal Ben~!

Never thought to ask them to go lower. Will have to give it a try sometime when something I want goes on sale.... Thanks for the tip~!

Ben325e

New User
Ben
Several people have PM'ed for a copy of the receipt, so here's a link to a picasa album. Disregard the drill receipt in the album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/100599720408328787281/DropBox?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLmrsIuQv8WqOg&feat=directlink

Please remember that the compressor has to be listed in their system as "Non-Stock", which signifies that they are closing that unit out and will not be getting any more delivered to the store. If the compressor is not listed as Non-stock, then the price match is typically a no-go.

Also, this unit was the last one in the store, so if your Lowes has more than one in stock, then they generally won't drop the price until there is only one left. This is normal and nothing to get hostile about.

If your Lowes is unable to match the price due to any of the above reasons, then one thing they *can* do is check in other stores in the region to find out the number of units they have in stock as well as the "Non-stock" status of the item.

When I bought a bandsaw from Lowes once, it was non-stock in one store here in Greenville, but not in the other store. Non-stock is determined on a store-by-store basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS