cabinet door question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
Just under a year ago I purchased my new home. The kitchen has oak cabinets with the typical panel/ stile doors. These cabinets were produced in a production shop back in 2006 and apparently spaceballs or a similar preventitive measure were not used when doors were assembled. With the house humidity going up and down like a yo-yo a couple of the doors have an annoying rattle when closing. Can I safely place a glazier's point against the inside of the panel against the rail to eliminate the rattle? :icon_scra I am thinking this would stop the rattle but allow for humidity movement. :dontknow: Thanks to all the helpful NCWW cabinet makers for opinions in advance. :wsmile:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I would think that would work fine. You also could wedge the tip of a tooth-pick against the panel in the groove, doing the same thing. Break off the rest of the tooth pick once the panel is de-rattleized.

Dave:)

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
de-rattleized.

Dave, is this a real woodworking term? LOL

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If there is enough room, Glenn, why not try to stuff a strip of foam (insulation strips) between the rail/stile and the panel? Maybe use the back of a box cutter blade to poke it home. Then you shouldn't have to worry about wood movement causing a split or crack.

Just a thought.......:lightbulb:lightbulb

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I like the toothpick idea. But, wouldn't a single drop of glue in the center of the panel accomplish the same thing? It shouldn't take much to stop it from rattling. Something like silicone adhesive dries clear, and remains flexible.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I like the toothpick idea. But, wouldn't a single drop of glue in the center of the panel accomplish the same thing? It shouldn't take much to stop it from rattling. Something like silicone adhesive dries clear, and remains flexible.

I've done a dab of silicon top and bottom before. Worked pretty well IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS