Buying a SawStop

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've been without a shop for over two years now, and finally making some progress on rectifying the situation. I'll see if I can post some pictures for those of you who enjoy the process of seeing a messy, disorganized garage turn into a messy, disorganized workshop.

I sold my old table saw when I moved, so it's time to get a replacement. I'm planning to buy a SawStop PCS 3HP, 36" fence, with the ICS mobile base. Looks like a decent machine. For those of you who have one:
(1) Where did you buy it?
(2) For those of you who bought local (Klingspor, Woodcraft, etc.), did you have it shipped or did you pick it up yourself?
(3) How hard is it to get the saw out of a pickup truck?

And for the bonus question: (4) Did you get the floating overarm dust collection, and if so do you like it?

Echd

C
User
I bought from these guys.

When I bought mine, it was during the early days of covidmania. Even so, I got it earlier than they quoted. I got the 1.75 with 52" and bies fence, and ics base. Other than wishing I got the 3hp, I couldn't be happier.

They shipped it via FedEx and the FedEx guy dropped it right where I wanted. Getting it from a truck would be hard solo. With two people, no problem. The only issues I had with solo assembly were setting the saw in the ics base. I very nearly dropped it on its side once... however, everything is packed perfectly and moving the boxes around on a simple dolly is no problem.

I didn't get the overarm collection. I work in my garage and can always open the garage doors and air it out easily. While I use a DC, I do place a slightly lower priority on that sort of collection as a result.

Other reason to go with the company I linked- they don't charge sales tax. Um, but of course, you will claim it on your taxes at the end of the year like a good citizen... either way, my experience with them was highly positive and I've continued to buy various things from them since, always with great results. Especially when buying festool toys, them not charging tax is nice... erm, until I pay it all in a lump sum later of course.

Last edited:

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got mine from Klingspor. I picked it up at the store and they loaded it with a forklift onto my truck. When I got it home, I unboxed everything and got everything out of the box except the cabinet itself. Had to get someone to help me get it down off the truck and then help carry it in. Just the cabinet itself is big and awkward. But for 2 people it’s pretty manageable.

Reactions: JSJ

Kelly

Kelly
User
My experience was the same as Robert’s. There is an incredible amount of info on Sawstop’s website about size and weight of shipping boxes.
I bought a sheet of laminate at Lowe’s and a sheet of 1” BB at the Hardwood store for a large outfeed table and an extra wing.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I also have the Sawstop PCS 3HP 36" fence and I opted for the overarm dust collection. I got mine from Klingspor about 10 years ago. I love it but I've also heard mixed reviews from some about the overarm system. I know some people that have it and don't use it anymore. The plastic blade side guards leave a bit to be desired. When cutting angles they can easily flex toward the blade and if not careful can get chewed up by the blade. I set mine up by myself but since you're in the Raleigh area, you should be able to shout out for some help and get some weekend warrior to stop over for any heavy lifting assistance. Depending on where you are in Raleigh, I'm in Chapel Hill and would be willing, time depending, on swinging by to assist. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I got the PCS from Woodcraft, but that was in CA about 4 years ago before moving. They trailered it to me for $25 and placed the pallet where I wanted it. I have the 52” fence and opted not to go for the overarm as it looked like it would just be in the way and I had a friend tell me that was their experience.

Gboot

Gene
Senior User
I got my Sawstop PCS 3HP 36" fence around 12 years ago from a Rockler store 45 minutes away when I was living in NJ. For around $200 they they delivered the saw to my basement shop and assembled the mobile base and main cabinet. The “deal” at the time included the mobile base. I ran my dust collection 4” pipe on the ceiling and with a tee installed a drop to the blade guard which does a good job and is out of the way.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I have the exact same setup but built my own mobile base to get the saw to the right height. Purchased at Klingspor and they delivered it for a nominal fee, dropped right in my shop. I didn't get the floating dust collection because I don't cut up sheet goods very often and that's where it would seem to excel. I do have the regular overarm dust collection and it does a good job. I run two 4" hoses to the saw, one to the cabinet and one to the overarm collector. My only complaint is that I end up swapping it out frequently since it can't be used with most of my jigs.

Last edited:

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I bought the 3hp 36" PCS from Klingspors 3 years ago. I did not get the mobile base (kicking myself for that), nor the overhead collection. I picked it up myself, they loaded into my truck using their forklift. Fortunately, @mdbuntyn was in the store at the same time and offered to help unload it when I got home. It was 3 pieces on a pallet (IIRMC), but the base was the most taxing. We moved it from my truck to a small yard trailer and riding mower to get it into my shop. We used the ramps from my mower shed to slide it from the truck to the small trailer.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bas, so glad you are getting back into woodworking, your craftsmanship has been missed. That said, I have the same saw you are looking at, although I purchased mine about 14 years ago. I bought it at Klingspor and I did everything myself (unloading, assembly, etc.)...I was younger then, but I think I could still do it myself, if I had to. I did buy the mobile base and while it is very seldom used it is great to have when needed. The overarm dust collection was not available when I bought my saw, so I don't have anything to offer...but based on how I work, it looks like it could get in the way. Congratulations and best of luck!

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I bought mine several years ago at Woodcraft in Greenville, SC. I think the prices are just about exactly the same regardless of where you go but there could be some difference on extras or delivery or something. I didn't have a pickup at the time so I had them put it in my little trailer which worked fine. I got it out by myself but it was a lot lower than the bed of a pickup would be. I had my son's engine lift available but managed to just tilt it pivot it to move it. I did not buy the mobile base (either one) from SawStop because the resulting saw height would be too low for me. I built my own mobile base instead and just tilted and pivoted the saw onto it. Extra hands would have been handy at several points but I got it done.

My PCS is the 1.75hp model with the 36 inch fence. I am very happy with it. I wish it was easier to switch from a regular blade to a dado set or that there was a better "solution" to a zero clearance insert (I use the Colliflower but get nervous about how close the aluminum is to the blade if you use it for dados). But it is a solid saw that runs smoothly and cuts accurately.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the exact same setup you are looking at minus the overhead dust collector. I bought mine from Klingspor. They loaded it in my truck for me. I had a couple friends on my end help unload it. Basically, we slid it down a ramp made with a couple 2x6's. I think it came in 4 separate boxes with only one being very heavy. Word of advice. It is really a two-person job to assemble. Offer up a couple cold ones and I am sure you will get all the help you need.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I bought mine several years ago at Woodcraft in Greenville, SC. I think the prices are just about exactly the same regardless of where you go but there could be some difference on extras or delivery or something. I didn't have a pickup at the time so I had them put it in my little trailer which worked fine. I got it out by myself but it was a lot lower than the bed of a pickup would be. I had my son's engine lift available but managed to just tilt it pivot it to move it. I did not buy the mobile base (either one) from SawStop because the resulting saw height would be too low for me. I built my own mobile base instead and just tilted and pivoted the saw onto it. Extra hands would have been handy at several points but I got it done.

My PCS is the 1.75hp model with the 36 inch fence. I am very happy with it. I wish it was easier to switch from a regular blade to a dado set or that there was a better "solution" to a zero clearance insert (I use the Colliflower but get nervous about how close the aluminum is to the blade if you use it for dados). But it is a solid saw that runs smoothly and cuts accurately.
Slightly off the main topic but infinity has a system to have multiple spare inserts that fit this saw. A base and blanks.. jredding told me about it. A little up front cost but less that buying several from sawstop..

Infinity makes a replace insert with blanks to address this issue. I spent about 170 and got the base and 7 or 8 blanks.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
I would copy the link if I knew how, Patrick Knapp on NCWW Facebook has (4) five hp SS for sale. $4200 each includes a Excalibur arm for dust collection as well. Seem a bit high for a used machine, but it’s a SS so…

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I purchased with the free overarm dust. Honestly, it is not stellar. The small 2” pipe connects into the 4” connector on the back of the unit and the majority of the flow goes to the cabinet. Also, the location of the dust port is not optimal. I have two steel cabinets as an outfeed table. The location of the dust port requires a tight bend in the pipe minimizing the efficiency of the cyclone overall. However, I regret nothing about my sawstop purchase

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I have been contemplating upgrading my SS Jobsite to a cabinet saw for some time. Definitely want the 3hp model. But curious about the right fence system to buy - 36 or 52. I don't cutdown large sheets too often, if that is the main justification for the 52 incher. But from comments above it appears that most folks have gone with the 36 inch version. I am curious why they may have opted for the 36 inch model. Was it due to space considerations? cost? Or never saw the need for the 52 incher?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have been contemplating upgrading my SS Jobsite to a cabinet saw for some time. Definitely want the 3hp model. But curious about the right fence system to buy - 36 or 52. I don't cutdown large sheets too often, if that is the main justification for the 52 incher. But from comments above it appears that most folks have gone with the 36 inch version. I am curious why they may have opted for the 36 inch model. Was it due to space considerations? cost? Or never saw the need for the 52 incher?

I don't have a SS. When I bought my Grizzly G1023 20 years ago I had to go with the short rails due to space limitations. Even if I had the space and had bought the long rails, now that I'm older I wouldn't be able to use the extra cutting capacity. My days of wrestling with 4x8 sheet goods are long gone. I cut everything up with a track saw and trim pieces to final size on the TS.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
99% of the time the extra space is where those items that should be put up properly end up. Then you get to dig through the pile to find that rasp at the bottom of the pile because it is not where it is supposed to be. Why go short when you can have all this fun and finish projects 20% faster because you had put your tools back in the right place!

Advantage #2
The extra space is also convenient when you need to clean the pile off your workbench to do a task. Otherwise you have to spend an hour putting everything up correctly as you could trip over it if you put it in the floor. Also the pile stays at a better height to sort through.

Perhaps I am the only one here that works this way. When I am in the zone, cleaning slows down the creativity.

demondeacon

Dave
Senior User
I don't have a SS. When I bought my Grizzly G1023 20 years ago I had to go with the short rails due to space limitations. Even if I had the space and had bought the long rails, now that I'm older I wouldn't be able to use the extra cutting capacity. My days of wrestling with 4x8 sheet goods are long gone. I cut everything up with a track saw and trim pieces to final size on the TS.
This is where I am at as well. I think the capacity of my SS Jobsite is 25 inches to the right of the blade. There certainly have been times when 3 or 4 more inches were needed or would have been nice, but not 27 more inches. 36 inches seem plenty.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
This is where I am at as well. I think the capacity of my SS Jobsite is 25 inches to the right of the blade. There certainly have been times when 3 or 4 more inches were needed or would have been nice, but not 27 more inches. 36 inches seem plenty.
Same here. That's about the width of a cabinet side panel, about the largest piece I ever cut on my TS.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS