butt rest for gun cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

josephmcbryde

New User
joe
Can anyone tell me a good (simple) way of making a butt rest for the bottom of a gun cabinet. Gotta get it done by Christmas and this is the last piece. Not sure of which way to do it...routing ovals (or how for that matter) or making the more traditional rest where a partial slot is cut out. If there is a different way, would love to here about it. Help!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Can anyone tell me a good (simple) way of making a butt rest for the bottom of a gun cabinet. Gotta get it done by Christmas and this is the last piece. Not sure of which way to do it...routing ovals (or how for that matter) or making the more traditional rest where a partial slot is cut out. If there is a different way, would love to here about it. Help!

to route out ovals cut a pattern from scrap and use a pattern bit or a router collar. make it a little bigger than the largest stock you have. make the pattern big enough to have room to clamp it in place without interfering with your router base. clamp, route,move repeat.:gar-Bi

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My current gun cabinet is built into my walk-in closet. The bottom has oval cutouts and the gunstocks rest on the carpet under the cabinet.

Jim

cpowell

New User
Chuck
to route out ovals cut a pattern from scrap and use a pattern bit or a router collar. make it a little bigger than the largest stock you have. make the pattern big enough to have room to clamp it in place without interfering with your router base. clamp, route,move repeat.:gar-Bi

+1

Pattern:

IMG_0192.JPG

In cab with a few guns. You can see the center-lines I marked to align the pattern. Easy-peasy. :gar-Bi

IMG_01952.JPG

Chuck

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
+1

Pattern:

IMG_0192.JPG

In cab with a few guns. You can see the center-lines I marked to align the pattern. Easy-peasy. :gar-Bi

IMG_01952.JPG

Chuck

yep just like that and you can cut some felt to fit them if you want.:icon_thum saves a bunch of detail sanding...:gar-Bi

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Last year when I made my FIL's gun cabinet. I made the butt rest out of 1 1/2" thick stock which just sits in the bottom of the cabinet. I used the right diameter forstner bit to cut the end of the butt slots, I jig sawed the straight lines. Then lined the slots with stick on felt. Since the butt and barrel rest were covered in felt I wasn't to concerned with a perfect cut like you would get with a router and template. What I did worked very well... Just remember to off set your butt rest slots (push them forward, twords the front of the case) so the guns lean back at a good angle when they rest against the barrel rest and don't want to tip forward when in the case. The case I made was on 12" wide so I didn't have a lot of room to play.

josephmcbryde

New User
joe
Thanks for all the suggestions. After reading them I felt kinda stupid because it turned out not to be that difficult. This site is great because of all the great members. thanks again and I'll upload some pics of the finished product.

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
Fred-- I have to say, you let me down. I only came to this thread to see if you made a good joke about "butt rest." What a disappointment. :rotflm:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Fred-- I have to say, you let me down. I only came to this thread to see if you made a good joke about "butt rest." What a disappointment. :rotflm:

Fred done been PC'ed (Political Corrected), he wouldn't want to hurt someones feelings... aw...

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Whatcha talking about Jeff!?!?!?!?!?! I'm not sure Fred can spell political since it ain't got nothing to do with ww'ing! :rotflm:

Brian

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member

It's a gun cabinet.... not a shop stool!:gar-Bi sheesh!:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS