butcher block cutting board question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I was watching the Wood Whisperer podcast about making a cutting board. I need to make one for a housewarming gift. The WW uses purpleheart and maple. Is there a more readily available wood than purpleheart I can use to contrast the maple? This will be an endgrain cutting board. Thanks! :)

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I thought I had read that walnut might have some allergy type issues. Am I crazy? :eusa_doh:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I think that is the inhaled sawdust, which is not very often an issue once the cutting board is in service.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Ahh, I think you're spot on. Thanks! I would just use purpleheart but they don't stock it at my local lumberyard. What size do I need 8/4? About how many bd./ft. do you use for a typical board?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
maybe 2?? I forget what size I made the boards at Christmas, but that seems pretty good for a reasonable size board

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
they are typically same thickness as a counter top 1 1/2 inches! be careful what u use to seal it tho!:eusa_danc

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Peter, any particular reason that you want to make it a end grain chopping block vs. a side grain cutting board?
End grain blocks are much heavier due to their thickness, and unless the person who are making it for plans to use it for chopping, the end grain orientation isn't needed. Side grain boards are very durable for general cutting, and easier to keep clean because the side grain is much less porous than end grain.
You can use just about any wood for a cutting board, but I would recommend one with tight grain like Maple or Beech if you are going to go end grain.
Dave:)

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Thanks for the info Dave. No particular reason for the end grain choice. I just thought that was 'what you are supposed to do'. You'll have to excuse me, I'm the noob around here.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
I typically use cherry as a contrasting wood to maple. I it harder than walnut and makes a more durable board. In addition, end grain walnut turns almost black when oiled while the cherry turns a nice amber brown.

BTW, whether you make an end grain or a side grain board, it should make no difference in weight. Both can be made as thin as an inch--not recommended--or anything thicker. End grain tends to "heal" when cut or chopped on where edge grain will permanently scar.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
Cherry sounds good since I've never used it before. Another first! Thanks all for the shared wisdom! :)

JohnW

New User
John
I'm new at posting pics but hopefully you can see a few different cutting boards and chopping blocks attached to this post.

# 36 is an end grain chop block using maple, cherry & walnut.
# 776 is an end grain chop block using maple & walnut.
# 707 shows one end grain chop block and 3 long grain cutting boards.
# 733 are all long grain using many types of woods.

All are finished with mineral oil. The end grain can stand up to heavy use without too many "scars". The long grain will scar easier but look better. Most of the folks I have given these boards to use the end grain as "working" boards and see heavy use. The long grain are used as cheese serving boards etc and see light use. Some folks just hang them up and refuse to cut on them.

Jump in an make a few because cutting boards are excellent beginner projects. You will learn a lot about cutting, gluing, clamping and jointing. Plus...people will enjoy receiving them.

Attachments

• Wedding Golf & Waterfalls 036.jpg
    Wedding Golf & Waterfalls 036.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_0776.jpg
    100_0776.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_0707.jpg
    100_0707.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 180
  • 100_0733.jpg
    100_0733.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 174

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
If I've ever seen cutting boards nicer than those I sure don't recall them!

Supposedly end grain is easier on the knifes cutting edge, but how much easier is kinda subjective. I'm a carbon steel knife guy mostly, so sharpening a knife is no big effort.

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
I used walnut, cherry, and maple on the one I made for a neighbor and used butcher block oil on it. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it anymore.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
Are biscuits to be prefered for glueing up a long grain board, or are they best glued up flat?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I haven't used any biscuits when making cutting boards, seems the glue joint itself is large enough to provide what strength is necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS