Building a butcher block.....can't find wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooly

New User
Doug
Greetings all,

First time poster here. I ran across this site as I began to really dig into the beginnings of wood working. I've always loved the look and feel of butcher block pieces so I thought I would make my own and see where it went. The problem is, so far I have not been able to find any place near Fayetteville who sells a variety of woods I can work with. I know the recommended Janka hardness for what I am building is 850 to 1600 but all I've been able to find is the two varieties they sell at Home Depot/Lowes. I bought some practice pieces from there since I had some spare change and have the first gluing drying in the garage so if I messed it up then oh well, it didn't run me much.

In any event, I got a little off topic there. End state is I am wanting to build a large/deep traditional end grain butcher block for my father-in-law. When he was down last he told a story of one he wanted to buy but the seller wasn't coming down off his extremely high price. His birthday is in September so I thought it would be a nice gift for him and that gives me enough time to get some practice in to get the process down. As to the title, can anyone help me? I'm fine with driving an hour or so to pick it up at a reasonable price. All I've found so far are online places that require you buy in bulk or pay a steep amount for smaller orders. Also if anyone has made one of these before and can offer up some tips it would also be muchly appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance and have a happy holiday season.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
First off, welcome. The first 2 places that come to mind are Anchor Hardwoods in Raleigh and Wilmington and The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville. The latter is my choice, but I am only 15 minutes from there and you are 2 hours away. We do have a list of sawyers and suppliers that can be accessed from the articles page. Here is the link

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/content.php?r=70-nc-reference-material

There are members in your area that may steer you to sources as well and I am sure one of them chime in.

Again, welcome to our group and please stop in the Who We Are forum and introduce yourself.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Welcome. I live in Cameron, that is north of Spring Lake. Finding hardwoods in the area is kinda hard. I use the sawers that are referenced in the reply by Bryan S. I usually go to Scott Smith http://www.quartersawnoak.com/. I haven't tried the ones in our area. (area 4 on the map). If you go to one of them, let me know how it went!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
You may want to consider buying butcher a block top. Cross cut it, and glue up to make traditional top. Add some legs and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS