BS boxes by L K Ventura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I will be the first to admit I am cranky after a couple of weeks of house arrest waiting on surgery next Tues. Even so the following kind of thing really irritates me.

"Surfacing"

"The care you put into surfacing the stock determines how well your block lamination will turn out....... First, plane the board, keeping it as thick as possible."

Ventura is talking about starting with rough 4/4 stock. If surface prep is so important why not tell and show the proper way to do it. I know and I am sure the members of this forum know you need to face joint a board before running it through a planner. OK hand tool guys I did not mean to leave you out. There is more than one way to flatten one side of the board.

Making BS boxes, basic ones, is really very simple. This, to me, is the kind of thing someone without a lot of experience might try. Someone could waste a lot of time, wood and money following Ventura's directions.

She does reference using a 6" jointer but only for edge jointing. Even if you did know to face joint the boards it would not help you with the stock that is over 6" wide for some of the boxes in the book. She does not address this at all.

Would I recommend buying the book, yes. Overall it is a good book except for a few things.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Well, in his defense, with such small pieces being laminated there probably wouldn't be very much warp in the individual pieces. But you're right, it could cause someone trouble if the board was real bad (I used hand planes for mine).

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Well, in his defense, with such small pieces being laminated there probably wouldn't be very much warp in the individual pieces. But you're right, it could cause someone trouble if the board was real bad (I used hand planes for mine).

Pete, you are absolutely correct. I also thought of this. But, he did mention cutting the pieces shorter if you were using a thickness sander but not a planner. The shorter pieces would allow you to take off less to correct a problem.

Like I said, I am irritable and nitpicking.

Oop's, she not he.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors