Brass Screw Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRD

New User
Jim
I'm looking for ideas, tips, hints, etc. on removing broken brass screws from a wooden box that I'm making.

One, has broken off just above the wood surface, two are flush with the surface of the wood. My first thought, other than a few choice words, was just drill them out, but I want to insure there's not a better way.

Ideas?

Thanks, Jim

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Jim:

BTDT. I would use a screw extactor. It screws into the end of the broken screw. One tip I was given is to use steel screws first to thread the holes and then remove those and use the brass screws since they tend to break. Also some lubricant on the threads of the brass screws will make them go in easier.

Doug

JRD

New User
Jim
Doug,

These are very small screws. I doubt you could turn an extractor into them.

Jim

RayH

New User
Ray
Hey Joe,

Did you usta work for Microsoft?
"It's not a deficiency, it's a feature":gar-La;

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Grind a square file tang to a sharp point, drill a small hole in the screw, tap in the tang and twist out.

Go

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
My painful experience with broken brass screws led me to the "drill out" as much of the shank as possible.

Look at maybe a 3/32 or smaller drill bits.

Once the brass is mostly drilled out, I did what I could to back out or break up whats left. Awl, small nail, pick, even some tiny files.

I'm assuming you don't want to make a bigger hole. If you can tolerate bigger holes, I'd agree with the posted link too.

One more tip, with the extractors. Use as little torque as possible. A constant pressure, but not superman twist. It may help back out the screw.

While on a role, waxing the screw before insertion can help with unplanned backouts.

Good luck!

Jim

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Screw extractors can be difficult to use (ie easy to break) on extremely small screws. One other problem is in drilling the screw in the center - you will probably need to file/grind the end flat.

One option to consider is to purchase some "left hand twist" drill bits from a machinist supply house, and drill out your screws (with your drill in 'reverse'). This puts counterclockwise force on the broken screw as you're drilling it, and oftentimes it will back out as you drill.

Scott

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Screw extractors can be difficult to use (ie easy to break) on extremely small screws. One other problem is in drilling the screw in the center - you will probably need to file/grind the end flat.

One option to consider is to purchase some "left hand twist" drill bits from a machinist supply house, and drill out your screws (with your drill in 'reverse'). This puts counterclockwise force on the broken screw as you're drilling it, and oftentimes it will back out as you drill.

Scott

I echo the left left handed drill bits as I have used them many times in automotive applications and they work relatively well.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Irony is a bitter pill....

I was tapping some threades and the tap broke off inside the hole in the casting.

Minor detail in getting it out, the tap is harder than any bits or extractors I have........

I need a bigger hammer!

Jim

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry

Scott

That's essentially what the Craftsman set does, The extractor backs the screw out using the pocket it created in the body of the screw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors