Branding Iron?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
My son who is pretty creative (teaches HS English and creative writing) has been doing some graphic arts/logo work on the side. Doing pretty well so far. He created this logo for me and I would like to get a branding iron made. Any recommendations that won't break the bank? ( BTW if you need a logo, I know a guy:gar-Bi)

attachment.php

Attachments

• logo2.jpg
    logo2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 348

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think Chris Schwarz recommended some outfit once. Search his blog on Lost Art Press - you might find it there.

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used https://www.brand-first.com/
custom head around $100-$125 depending on size and accessories.
Works great, we emailed a few times to get the logo line work just right.
Once I signed off on the final layout, it was here in about a week.
no issues and works great

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Preston, You may want to look at the results from branding irons.

The resulting brand will probably not be as clear and crisp as your artwork. You may need to go with a simpler and bolder pattern that translates well from the iron. Often there is a kind of a char halo that extends beyond the actual contact point.

If you check out some samples images, you may see what I’m describing.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member

The resulting brand will probably not be as clear and crisp as your artwork. You may need to go with a simpler and bolder pattern that translates well from the iron. Often there is a kind of a char halo that extends beyond the actual contact point.

Thought about that and talked to my son. We will probably take the lettering out and just go with the initials and oak leaf. I watched a YouTube video on making your own branding iron from the little 3/4" brass disk that comes with the Weller wood burning iron. I carved my initials into it with my Dremel. After several attempts, I got it in pretty acceptable shape. If I can find some larger disks, I may try making my own.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• iron.jpg
    iron.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 251
  • initals.jpg
    initals.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 242

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
​I am following this thread. I am looking for an image of man at a scroll saw for my logo, but haven't found one I can copy for use with business cards and a branding iron.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Bruce, if you can get a good clear photo with no clutter in the background of you at the saw I can trace the photo into a drawing that will work on cards and a branding iron.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​Based on my experience as a graphic designer I see nothing wrong with your son's original design. Almost any design will blur if the heat is too high or it is left on the wood too long. It will take a little experimenting to get it right. Your son's design is very nice.
Sawman, Mikes is also an old graphic designer. He can take care of you.

Pop
:eek:ccasion1

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Thinking outside the box, you could get a cheap laser engraver. I bought one a month ago and am using it to put my logo on the bottom of bowls:
IMG_23122.JPG

Assembly and learning the software is a challenge (i.e. no instructions whatsoever), but doable. Mine was $200 but there are cheaper smaller ones. I opted for the 2000mw laser and 65x55cm work surface.

My thread on it here: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=64663

wbwufpack

New User
Brian

I second this. My wife had Brand First make one for me that is fairly detailed. It was a fantastic gift and the brand is awesome, but it can be challenging to get it right on certain hardwoods because of the detail.
In my opinion, simpler is better. If you take off the lettering around the perimeter I think you will be better off.
That's really nice work by your son.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Bruce, if you can get a good clear photo with no clutter in the background of you at the saw I can trace the photo into a drawing that will work on cards and a branding iron.
Specification_Drawing.png
This should make it real easy Mike. I like either the top or center images. with a FAT stickman standing at the helm. If it doesn't work, that's OK, but thank you for your offer, it's another reason NCWW rocks!
These images are of the Hawk Scroll Saw, of which I drive the G-426 and the 226 VS Ultra! Love them!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS