Boy! Was I wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
i saw a home made height adjustable workbench online somewhere that might have used something like this. One under or attached to each leg.

96-000.jpg

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=96-000&CARTID=200809124967134012--1

They even had a video posted of it in action which was extremely interesting. I just can't remember where I saw it.

woodguy1975

New User
John
John, Thank you for the info on work zones. I had not heard that before. I am 5' 8", and with the 4x4's, my bench height is close to the 36" you mention.

Part of my problem is that I am not as strong or limber as I once was. I think that it would have been less of a problem 10 years ago.

Maybe someone on here could develop a bench lift system . I'm thinking hydraulic rams with pneumatic foot switch. So Alan, how's the design coming?:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

Go

I have my assembly table on electric actuators to raise up and down. Runs from around 28 inches up to 44. :) My video my still be floating out there...

here it is. I made this a few years ago.

http://www.jsrwoodworking.com/images/Assembly_Table/tablevid2.WMV

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That would be the guys at CERN this week with that big LHC:rotflm:

Well, somebody must have prayed to them because it didn't work. The house we wanted is under contract and ours is still not. :roll:

That would have been a dang nice shop too.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
John, now that's what I'm talkin' about!! And Steve, those dual action actuators are more what I had envisioned, but are a bit out of my price range. 4 of those with the controller would be more than I have invested in the bench.

Honestly, I remembered Alan's adjustable table design, just not who made it, and am thinking along those lines for simplicity. Guess I should have intuited whom it was. Thanks for the link. When I get around to making a new base for mine, I plan to incorporate this design with some below-top drawers for most of the hand tools and some casters for mobility, so that should stiffen it up for plane use. As my top is only attached by two lag screws, swapping it to another base shouldn't be a problem.

I also might just buy 4 cheap bottle jacks and incorporate them.

As for the current height, it is just at the bottom of my belt line, so I guess that maxim checks out, too.

Scott, I agree that its a ripe plumb for someone to make a couple bucks from. At the speed I work, however, we'll have cold-fusion powered tools by the time I would get a prototype built!!

Thank you all for the responses. I think I get more knowledge out of this site than I ever got from high school!! (Of course, then I already knew everything, and now I just know how ignorant I am about s-o-o-o-o many things)

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors