Box Cutter reincarnation. Pictures Added with writeup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Stay tuned for a thread where we take a box cutter made from plastic, ran over by a fork lift, and revived in a wooden rendition that will be used daily. Another father and son project. Lots of pictures forth coming. And of course a great project story told by my son, 02Ranger. He tells a great story........

Last edited:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Re: Box Cutter reincarnation.

It is done. Plenty of in process pics coming.

ehpoole

Ethan

Well now, it does appears we have procrastination in motion... :wink_smil

... awaiting 'tomorrow' :roll:

cskipper

Cathy

Well now, it does appears we have procrastination in motion... :wink_smil

... awaiting 'tomorrow' :roll:

:rotflm::rotflm:

Sounds like an interesting project - but remember no pics and it didn't happen!

02ranger

New User
Matthew

OK, here's the story. I work at the Food Lion distribution warehouse in Salisbury and we use a specific brand of box cutter for "safety" reasons. Below is a picture of the original.
121.jpg

One of my associates had dropped his knife and it had been run over by a forklift. As you can imagine, a 12,000 lb forklift isn't exactly good for a plastic knife. Most of the handle was crushed but the mechanism inside was still good. I held onto the knife and started planning. My reasons for making the knife into a wooden version are the best reason to do any woodworking, because I could.:wsmile: So my dad (TracyP) and I started work on it yesterday.

The first thing that we did was to get a chunk of wood and cut it down to just larger than the overall size.
1310397672330photo.JPG

We then ripped it into two 1/2" pieces, for the sides of the knife. I traced the pattern of the knife internals onto one of the 1/2" pieces of wood and we started to cut it out with a dremel tool.
1310397585861photo.JPG

BTW, I REALLY like Dremel tools now. :gar-La; It took a few tries but eventually we got the internals to fit snugly into the recess we cut in the wood. I also need a slot on the bottom of the knife for a blade release. On the original there is a button you push but we decided to just cut a recess to get to the button on the inside. I used the Dremel tool for that too.
1310397306273photo.JPG

Next we needed a slot for the blade extension knob. I tried doing this part with the dremel tool on the other half of the wood we cut, but it didn't turn out so well. :nah:
1310397639782photo.JPG

1310397555087photo.JPG

Note to dad: I wish I'd known you were taking this one. I could've posed instead of looking dumbfounded. :eusa_thin haha. I was trying to figure out what to do next.
1310397471395photo.JPG

1310397518522photo.JPG

Apparently I'm better with a half of a hole than cutting a whole one. So my dad took the piece to the scroll saw and got it cut right out. :icon_cheers
1310397425312photo.JPG

1310397280858photo.JPG

Then we painted some Titebond II on and clamped it all together.

1310397252849photo.JPG

Now for the hardest part, we wait. Only took about 30 minutes but it always feels longer. I traced the pattern of the handle that I wanted and back to the scroll saw my dad went. He cut it right out and by now I'm a little jealous since I can barely cut a 1" straight line on the scroll saw. OK, maybe not jealous but I need some practice. :gar-Bi Once the general shape was right we sanded it. And sanded it. And sanded it a little more.
photo10.JPG

Once all of the contours were right my dad made a mixture of BLO, mineral spirits, and some cherry stain. It was approx. 1/3 part each. He painted the stain on and we waited again. Once several coats of finish were applied and dried we applied a few coats of spray lacquer and once dry again it was done.
CIMG0046.jpg

What we finished with was a box cutter that was much better than in it's previous life. It's smaller, fits in my hand and pocket better, and is wood. Who in their right mind would say plastic is better than wood? And another bonus to it, I can spot it in a second if anybody ever steals it. I think the best thing I got out of this knife was that my dad and I spent a fun Sunday together. I "think" he'd agree. :wsmile:

Glennbear

Glenn
Very nicely done, I sincerely hope your employer will accept usage as being "safe" compared to the gimmicky plastic original design. :wsmile:

02ranger

New User
Matthew
Very nicely done, I sincerely hope your employer will accept usage as being "safe" compared to the gimmicky plastic original design. :wsmile:
Probably not, but I'm not too worried about it. The knife that I carry now is a metal folding design made by Gerber and nobody's said anything yet. The only thing they MAY complain about is the guard on the end missing, but what they don't know won't hurt them. haha.

02ranger

New User
Matthew
Looks good! How do you change the blade?

p

You can't see it in the finished picture, but if you look at the one where you can see the half with the mechanism in it, there is a small slot cut to the side. I can put a pen or paperclip in there to hit the button for the blade release and then it comes out. It was the simplest thing we could come up with. We thought about adding a button with a spring but figured it'd be simpler this way.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice job, Matt! I'd been wondering what a scroll saw is good for! :rotflm: OUCH!
OK, b4MAN! I take it back!! :wsmile:

cskipper

Cathy
Nice job, Matt! I'd been wondering what a scroll saw is good for! :rotflm: OUCH!
OK, b4MAN! I take it back!! :wsmile:

Ahem.................. Just b4man????

Great job on the tool remodeling. It looks like it was a great joint effort.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Ahem.................. Just b4man????

Great job on the tool remodeling. It looks like it was a great joint effort.

NO, but she's the one closest to me, AND, I ain't callin' out that Big Dude by name, that's for sure!! :rotflm:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Great project and great way for a father and son to spend some time together in the shop. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum Thanks for sharing the play by play.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors