Bowtie jig selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
Need to stabilize some checking in a table top slab and wondering about bow tie/Dutchman jigs. Is there a preferred jig out there for this task? Thanx.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
Others can speak to the templates and jigs but I had good luck watching a few youtube videos and doing these by hand. If you do them without a template, you can make your butterflies of any shape you like. The templates don't give you that flexibility.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a couple of templates but have never used them. When I last made butterflies for the bottom side of my workbench, I just cut out several of them to close to the size I wanted on the band saw. I then traced their pattern onto the wood. They were about 1/2" thick so I took a very small router and put a 1/8" straight bit in it. I carefully (you need lots of light to see your lines) cut inside the lines of my butterfly to about 1/4-3/8" depth. I finished the outside edges with a chisel. I put in some yellow glue and pounded in the butterfly. I came back with a hand plane and made everything level. A scraper or chisel would work just be careful of tear-out if using a chisel.

Lowlander

New User
Chris
I personally like cutting my own butterflies out and tracing them onto the work. Then I route out the majority of the trace with a straight bit. I then finish up the edges with a chisel. Sand flush and its done.

Touchwood

New User
Don
I use the Casper jig and a chisel to clean up the corners. Plus a Whitefield brass patterning set and 1/8" router bit.
This is a small display table top done with it.

IMG_05553.JPG

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Nice top and the butterfly inlay looks great. What is a "Casper Jig"? I've never heard of it and I googled it w/no results. I use a simple lexan 1/4" pattern that I've had for years and it sounds like the same process. Route w/a pattern bushing and a 1/8th" spiral bit.

Tks,
Dan C.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is the butterfly on the underside of my workbench. Done by cutting on band saw, tracing and routing out the shape by eye.

DSC_0240_800x532_.jpg

After leveling.

DSC_0243_800x532_.jpg

The black stuff in the gap is epoxy with black dye mixed into it. It turned out looking like mineral streaks in the wood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS