Bosch 1587AVSP JS $119.99 Rockler, free ship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
While I agree the Bosch jig saws are well designed, the recent ones are not the quality they used to be.
According to the Bosch web site the saws are now made in China and I am guessing that might have a lot to do with the drop in quality. Here is the site http://www.boschtools.com/products/tools/pages/boschproductdetail.aspx?pid=1587AVSP-1

I wonder if they mean: Assembled in China.

If the parts remain the same, and are made somewhere else and shipped to China for assembly, would there really be any difference, other than labor costs?

First made in Germany (assumption)
Then made in Switzlerland
Then made in Mexico
No made in China

I dont imagine all those Countries had manuf capabilities to make the parts ? maybe just assembled.

Just thinking out loud

M

DWSmith

New User
David
The 1587 was once made in New Bern, NC. (The Bosch plant was once the Stanley tools plant. Bosch moved the headquarters to Chicago when they decided New Bern wasn't a good corporate location. Chicago, frozen over for 6 months of the year was deemed a better location.) The 1590 is made in Arkansas. The 1587 is now made in China and the quality has declined dramatically. Was once a good saw but now, sadly, is just another Chinese made POS. Actually, the 1581 was a better saw with a screwdriver required for blade change. But people kept losing the screwdriver and a new blade change manner had to be designed. So the engineers came up with the click device which was a bust with most users who just couldn't figure out how to use it correctly.

Once over engineered and now under built for the sake of an increased profit margin.

jimNC

New User
Jim
Good info. Curious, how does one come across information about what models are made where? Do you perhaps know someone that worked in the New Bern plant?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
The 1587AVS I own is about 8 years old and is labeled made in USA. Matt how about I loan this to you and you redo the Bosch - Festool test with a decent 1587

The Rockler price of $120 for a chinese 1587 is not a good buy

Just my .02

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
The 1587AVS I own is about 8 years old and is labeled made in USA. Matt how about I loan this to you and you redo the Bosch - Festool test with a decent 1587

The Rockler price of $120 for a chinese 1587 is not a good buy

Just my .02

Phil:

After the heat I received, Im out of the tool comparison business:rotflm: but thanks anyway!
If the current 1587 is no good, can you recommend a better replacement JS, new ?

M

DWSmith

New User
David
Good info. Curious, how does one come across information about what models are made where? Do you perhaps know someone that worked in the New Bern plant?

I was a District Sales Manager/Team Leader for Robert Bosch Tool Co. in the Southeast region for a lot of years. The New Bern plant is now appliances only with most of the tool manufacturing sent to either Arkansas or off shore somewhere. The Arkansas plant makes mainly saws.

BTW Bosch is the largest privately held company in the world owned by the Robert Bosch Foundation. There isn't any stock, anywhere.

The current 1590 jig saw is a winner in every sense of the word. Strong, smooth and the easiest blade change around.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I will pose the same question to BoardSmith, can you recommend a suitable replacement saw, new?

This post is about found good deals, if this is not a good deal, use your vast product knowledge to suggest a good JigSaw and help promote Woodworking and all that goes with it.

Thanks in advance

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
If I had to go out and replace my jigsaw today I would probably go for the Metabo STEB 135 A strong, tough and also precise German tool that has a street price of around $180.

DWSmith

New User
David
The Bosch 1590 is as good as it gets. Full featured and reasonable priced. If I were to buy a new jig saw tomorrow, that would be the one I would get.

Metabo. Good tools but very few dealers around. Somewhat pricey as well.

DeWalt. No. Just an upgraded B&D.

PC. Even when they were owned by Pentair, their jig saw was a little short on features. Who knows what it is now that B&D had their hands on them.

Makita. A good saw, reasonable featured and priced.

Skil. Would not consider one for any reason.

Craftsman. Haven't seen the inside of a Sears store to look at tools in 20 years. Did buy a tool box at Sears last week.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Last week, Big Sky Pawn in Apex had an American made 1587, with metal case and several blades for $69. National Pawn of west Hillsboro Rd. in Durham had same saw, but with plastic case. I think I remember seeing a 1587 at Picassio Pawn on Hwy 55, next to Golden Coral for same amount. So with a little haggling, you could wind up with an American made 1587 for less than $70. Sorry no gift cards included. I passed on these as I already own four. Maybe I just like the 1587.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors