Bookshelf - Completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I have finally completed my bookshelf project - To get the darkness LOML wanted, I used 4 coats of Ebony stain, 3 coats of Polyurethane and finished off with 2 coats of paste wax.

Picture_or_Video_008.jpg

Picture_or_Video_001.jpg

Picture_or_Video_003.jpg

Last edited:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Sandy,

The shelves look terrific. Is this part of the office suite that you have been working on? What kind of wood went into the floating shelves?

Ray

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Sandy,

The shelves look terrific. Is this part of the office suite that you have been working on? What kind of wood went into the floating shelves?

Ray

Ray,
No, these are to make the wife happy since I spend all weekend outside working on the rest of the office furniture. I used 1/2" oak plywood foro the top, 1/4' oak for the bottom and 1x3's for the sides....there is a brace mounted to the studs in the wall that the shelves are connected to. I used 1 1/2" finishing screws to attach the shelves to the brace. Sorry the pics are so small, I havn't posted any since the attachments were taken away. I'll try and post some larger ones.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Sandy,

Nicely done. Sounds like a great mounting technique. I build a couple of small corner floating shelves for my daughter and SIL without thinking of how to mount them... they have been sitting in the shop for a year... :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Ray

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Sandy,

Those look GREAT! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Very nice work and the finish is spot on. :icon_thum

Trent :icon_bigg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dang you, if my wife sees this thread she is going to want me to finish the shelves like that, I started sometime last year. And she is then going to be disappointed that they don't look as good as yours.
Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow - magic floating shelves. Very stylish! The color came out great, normally I'm not a big fan of dark stain but I like how you can still see the grain.

Would love to see closeups, I'm too stupid to figure out construction details from descriptions :baffled5wh:

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Great looking shelves and the dark stain is amazingly attractive. I like it.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
They look great. I really like the dark finish. I bet you scored some point with those. :icon_chee

J

jeff...

Sweet :) always a challenge to figure out how to hang a wide shelf without some kind of 45 degree brace, good job...

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Wow - magic floating shelves. Very stylish! The color came out great, normally I'm not a big fan of dark stain but I like how you can still see the grain.

Would love to see closeups, I'm too stupid to figure out construction details from descriptions :baffled5wh:

Bas,
You can look at the original thread I posted when I first started working on them to see the construction: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13317

I just used some scrap pieces glued to the inside to mount the plyboard to.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Sandy,

Nicely done. Sounds like a great mounting technique. I build a couple of small corner floating shelves for my daughter and SIL without thinking of how to mount them... they have been sitting in the shop for a year... :eusa_doh::eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Ray

I have a third one started, and if it doesn't stop raining on the weekends it will be sitting in the same place. (shop is too small to set up the table saw)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS