Blood Thinner, Super Glue and Black Pepper

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Yes this may seen like it belongs in "Off Topic " thread, but most cuts occur in the shop. Since my heart attack in Dec 2021, I have been on blood thinner (generic Plavax.) This means that the smallest of cuts bleeds profusely. Couple weeks ago nicked my index finger on left hand. Tried for several minutes to stop the bleeding. Finally, wiped the cut as dry as I could, and applied a drop of super glue. No more bleeding. This week scraped my left hand, and had trouble getting bleeding to stop. Finally got it to stop, but when I got home, it started to bleed again.. Got the black pepper shaker, and sprinkled some on the cut. Bleeding stopped almost instantly. If you are on blood thinner, you might want to consider keeping some super glue, and packets of black pepper with you at all times, especially when working in the shop.. FYI, neither of these happened while in the shop. There are several commercial products to stop bleeding, but most are moisture sensitive and expire, used or not. Black pepper is free in most fast food places, and super glue is a buck and a quarter at Dollar Tree.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Black pepper stops radiator leaks (temporarily) as well. Done this many times back in the day to get home and to the parts place.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think they used super glue to put my chest back together after heart surgery.
You are correct - "Dermabond is the form of medical glue most used by surgeons today. Liquid bandage is an over the counter form of modified superglue used to close small superficial cuts. Not only does superglue bind the skin together it also acts as a barrier to bacteria."
In addition "Superglue was first developed by scientists at Eastman Kodak (in 1942) who were trying to design gun sights for the military after they found that some of their failed attempts had other useful properties."

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bruce, I knew that super glue was useful in stopping small bleeds (I have used it myself), but I was unaware of black pepper. That said, as a retired microbiologist I would be cautious about using black pepper. Years ago, when I was a graduate teaching assistant, we would run plate counts on black pepper to demonstrate that this seemingly innocuous product could have millions (literally) of bacteria per gram. That said, these days most spices are "treated" (ethylene oxide, propylene oxide, irradiation) to control for micobial hazards and while these treatments vastly reduce micobial loads there is no claim of sterility. I remember getting a call from a food processor who made refrigerated salads (coleslaw, potato salad, etc), they were in a panic because of complaints of short shelf life. After a little investigating it turned out that someone had "mistakenly" ordered untreated spices. All of this is a longwinded way of saying that applying black pepper to an open wound may not always be the best idea, especially for those with compromised immunity.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Black Pepper works, Black Tea also works. Moisten then put on the cut and the tannic acid will stop the bleeding.
Silver nitrite REALLY works, but it stings more so than styptic. Once the bleed is stabilized then apply super glue

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
The ER doctor that wrote Workshop Wound Care for Lost Art Press recommends a product called Vetbond. It's the precursor the Dermabond that Raymond mentioned.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
During the war in Vietnam, US combat medics routinely used superglue to seal wounds and stop bleeding. The black pepper trick is new to me.

Craptastic

Matt
Corporate Member
The ER doctor that wrote Workshop Wound Care for Lost Art Press recommends a product called Vetbond. It's the precursor the Dermabond that Raymond mentioned.

Gotta wonder if accelerator application helps.

Guessing it would sting.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
"When I was your age... we used to use ABC gum to close our wounds..." It might not have been sterile, but it got the job done. (I am kidding, of course... and I am not that old. :D)

I don't have any super glue around here, but after reading these posts, I might have to invest in some. Definitely cheaper alternative to getting stitches, or visiting the "Quick care" center.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors