block planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver828

New User
David
I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but I would like to know about block planes (low angle adjustable mouth) and makers. LN certainly gets good marks, though I don't have any of their planes myself. LV seems to also get good marks and be slightly less expensive. Of course there is Wayne Anderson who made one and has a pic on his website. Whew gorgeous, but out of my price range.

So tell me what's your favorite and why?

Next question is, what is the Japanese solution for a block plane. Would be hard to get a 12 degree wooden plane. How do the Japanese trim end grain, either freehand or on a shooting beam?

Any help is appreciated.

David

nelsone

New User
Ed
I have the LV LA block and really like it. I want to pick up an older Stanley 9 1/2 too. The LV has plenty of mass holds an edge really well. I can close the mouth and take a wisp of a shaving or open it up and take a heavier cut. Of course you should be able to do that with the LN or a well tuned older Stanley too.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
This question is synonmous with "what is the best beer" or "should I date Cindy Crawford or Paris Hilton" :p

I'll skip over the usual blather and cut right to my $0.02.

I like LN over Veritas. Mostly, I prefer the "feel and heft" of a LN. LV is certainly creative and has new ideas and makes great stuff. Can't go wrong with either.

I just get a certain something when I hold a LN the LV doesn't do. Sort of like sitting on a Honda, then a Harley.

Of course a Wayne Anderson, restored Norris, Sauer & Steiner etc.

While I'm not aware of a block plane, I feel Clifton is oft overlooked.

All this talk, and I still go for my old Miller Falls 110 knockoff. I cut my teeth on that old gal, and just go back to her more often than not.

Good luck and happy planning!

Jim

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
As Jim and Ed said I like my L-Ns because of thier feel. When the blades are freshly sharpened they are amazing. Having said that, I also have some Stanleys both older made in the USA and newer English ones and properly tuned the are very serviceable.

Nativespec

New User
David
I have both the LN and LV. I like them both and use them both. LN has more to choose from in angles and sizes. The LV has a chamfering attachment which is nice. LV has set screws for the blade which is a nice feature. LV planes cost less because they use painted parts where LN uses bronze and brass. If you buy LN, go to:

http://www.finetoolj.com/LN/planes.html

because they sell at a discount with free shipping.

Thanks,

David

daver828

New User
David
I have both the LN and LV. I like them both and use them both. LN has more to choose from in angles and sizes. The LV has a chamfering attachment which is nice. LV has set screws for the blade which is a nice feature. LV planes cost less because they use painted parts where LN uses bronze and brass. If you buy LN, go to:

http://www.finetoolj.com/LN/planes.html

because they sell at a discount with free shipping.

Thanks,

David

thanks for the link, and the help, all of you

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Now that you got a couple of 'real' answers...my _favorite_ block plane is the cheap $7 no-name block plane I bought at Northern Tool. Whenever I stabilize a knot with CA glue, this is the plane I use to knock off the top edge, to save the blades on my jointer. After sharpening the blade and flattening the sole with some sandpaper, this thing makes great cuts on just about anything, including end grain. The only problem is that the plastic wheel that hold the blade broke a little, so now I have to use pliers to turn it to tighten/ loosen.

I suppose I could buy a new one, but spending $7 every time a non-critical part gets damaged? :)

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Well I am a little late to this party, but here goes. My far and away favorite low angle adjustable mouth plane is my LN # 62. Next is my LN #140, which is a skew, not low angle. Here is the #140 in action making some shiplap joints.
IMAG0057.jpg

And here is the #62 in action making a raised panel. It beat out the other planes in the picture for smoothe cut.

IMAG0076.jpg

The LN #62 is really a LA Jack plane. It is like a LA block plane on steroids! This has become my go-to plane because it works so well. The blade adjusts easily to a whisper. The low angle slices effortlessly. The adjustable mouth helps keep the shavings thin. It works on that nasty birdseye maple, or construction lumber, or edges, or whatever else you let it gnaw on.

Rob

New User
Rob
Here's a question, having only a couple cheap planes. I've been wanting a shoulder plane, for cleaning up rabbit's and such, have looked at the LN but can't bring myself to spend over $100 for one. What makes LN's so high? Does anyone have a shoulder plane that is cheaper? I had a stanley bull nose, it went into the trash after several hours trying to get it to shave.

JimReed2160

New User
jim
My favorite plane for cleaning up rabbets is my Stanley #93. Also use an Ulmia with a lignum sole, an old Preston bullnose, and sometimes the LN #140 or the LN #62.

The LN planes are pricey because they are well made. In my mind, worth the price. But if price is an issue, the best bargain out there is a woodie skew dado. One that is 1" to 1 1/2" would work well and can be had on that famous auction site for less than $20.

For trimming rabbets and tenons, you need to get into the corner. The woodie skew dado planes cut right to the shoulder on both sides. They are the best used tool bargain out there.

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . . While I'm not aware of a block plane, I feel Clifton is oft overlooked.

Good luck and happy planning!

Jim

Apparently I am one who has overlooked the Clifton. I'd like to hear more about them. WWS carries them, but don't list any block planes. Prices are right up there with LN :swoon:

Clifton handplanes

Roger

JimReed2160

New User
jim
Next question is, what is the Japanese solution for a block plane. Would be hard to get a 12 degree wooden plane. How do the Japanese trim end grain, either freehand or on a shooting beam?

Any help is appreciated.

David

Well, here is one Japanese solution to the block plane.

IMAG0211.jpg

It works pretty well. Here is another shot.

IMAG0212.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS