Block Plane Tune-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

nblong

New User
Bruce
I have a Stanley 7" block plane that I'm having problems with. If I lower the iron far enough to bite, the top of the iron contacts the front of the mouth so the shavings have nowhere to go. The mouth isn't adjustable. It only cost about $20 at Lowes if I remember correctly but I don't have the budget for a high-end plane.

Does anyone have suggestions to correct this? None of the tune-up info I can find online mentions this problem. Should I try to file down the back of the mouth maybe? Thanks.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
No insult intended, but could you have the iron in upside down?

A block plane is a "bevel up" plane, meaning the totally flat face of the iron faces down when bedded in the body.

File'n open a wider mouth would be a last resort. I'd instead look to see if the bedding of the iron in the body might have too much paint or maybe some bumps. Its easier to work that part than to repair too wide a mouth opening.

Worst case, a few pics of it would help.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I believe this is what you have -

076174122206md.jpg

There is very little adjustment on that plane. Filing the mouth wider would be your only option. I would return it, if you can and pick up this model -

076174129205md.jpg

It was the second plane I've bought and for $10 more it is fully adjustable. A little fine tuning and it's quite a good using plane for me. I just wish I had also got the low angle version of it too. Instead I got a Groz which has a similar problem as yours, except I can't close the mouth up enough for fine end grain work.
MTCW,
Dave:)

nblong

New User
Bruce
DaveO had the right picture (the top one). Rather than mess around with filing here and there and hoping for teh best I'll just take it back. You get what you pay for ...

Thanks for the tips guys.

Threejs

New User
David
If you have the blade in upside down, it will not clear the mouth. The blade should be in bevel up with this...

IMG_2513.jpg

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Bruce...I ran into the exact same thing. I tried to file the mouth and it worked to a certain extent, but it did not make a really smooth job. The best thing to do is go to an antique store and look for an older block plane - after a little cleaning and tuning up, you won't have those problems.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Some antiques will have a foul mouth too. It's not hard to adjust. I had an old one that wouldn't clear chips, I took a thin flat file and adjusted the width of the mouth and it cuts great now. Just don't over do it. Fit, file, fit, file, fit, be happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS