BLO & Weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've finished building SWMBO a potting bench out of cypress. I like the look that BLO gives the cypress or any wood for that matter. My question is how weather resistant is it? The bench will be kept under a carport that is semi sheltered. However rain can blow under it in storms. It's not exactly "Fine Furniture" but I want it to last so I won't have to do another any time soon.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I am working with clear enamel for outdoors, it seems to be holding up pretty well.

I would put something over the BLO if nothing more than a coat of poly.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
If it's not exposed to the direct sun, General Finishes 450 Exterior will do a good job. However, it will eventually mildew. I usually tell people to paint cypress to preserve it. An old fella down east told me he never paints the under sides of cypress. Lets it "breathe." :wsmile:[/B

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
BLO has very little moisture resistance properties. Tung oil is about twice as moisture resistant, but even that probably isn't enough for an outdoor project. If you want the wood to be protected, yet still show some of it's pattern, I would look for a good long oil (spar) varnish. And be prepared to reapply every few years.

Bill

stave

New User
stave
The finish I use for exterior doors and such that leaves a natural finish that is water resistant is:

equal parts of BLO, naptha, and spar varnish

Apply a coat and wait until it starts to get tacky and then wipe off. If you let it sit to long it really requires some wiping. Check it a couple hours for bleeding and wipe if needed. Let it dry overnight and the repeat the process. I usually apply no less than 4 coats. The look is a satin clear finish that holds up well. I have had doors up for over 15 years that have required only a one coat touch up every few years. It gives a really nice hand rubbed satin finish.

Stave

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Cypress is naturally pretty weather resistant and ages to a nice pewter color on its own. The ultimate low maintenance finish IMHO. I suspect that, as a potting table, it's gonna get somewhat abused in regular use, but its a utility piece anyway. :dontknow:

However, there's nothing wrong with applying a finish either. The recipe that Stave offers above is a good one. I've read that the key is using a high quality marine spar varnish like Epifanes (avoid the stuff available at the BORGS!).

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...id=92&familyName=Epifanes+Gloss+Clear+Varnish

Here's an informative link to a similar recipe, but it's a bit lighter on the varnish component in the mix.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-46-desert-outdoor-finish/

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>>>> My question is how weather resistant is it?

BLO is the least durable of any finish you could apply. It provides no protection from water or water vapor nor will it provide and protection from abrasion and has no long term durability.

Cypress is a soft wood and is going to be easily dinged and damaged from potting activities. I would suggest a soft, flexible finish such as a marine spar varnish. It will "give" when it gets dinged without cracking or crazing. Therefore it will maintain its protective qualities.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Cypress is naturally pretty weather resistant and ages to a nice pewter color on its own. The ultimate low maintenance finish IMHO. I suspect that, as a potting table, it's gonna get somewhat abused in regular use, but its a utility piece anyway. :dontknow:

However, there's nothing wrong with applying a finish either. The recipe that Stave offers above is a good one. I've read that the key is using a high quality marine spar varnish like Epifanes (avoid the stuff available at the BORGS!).

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...id=92&familyName=Epifanes+Gloss+Clear+Varnish

Here's an informative link to a similar recipe, but it's a bit lighter on the varnish component in the mix.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/episode-46-desert-outdoor-finish/

+1 for Epifanes. In general if you don't upkeep your wooden ware outside YEARLY, the wood will eventually succumb to the Southern sun.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just finished some Teak rockers that sit on the front porch with a Marine Teakwood Finish that I got at Klingspor. They are turning out very nicely. Not sure what it has in it exactly but I think it is an Oil and Varnish (either Spar or Poly) based on the results and the way it is applied. Just flood it on and wipe excess after 30 minutes.

- Ken.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
>>>> My question is how weather resistant is it?

BLO is the least durable of any finish you could apply. It provides no protection from water or water vapor nor will it provide and protection from abrasion and has no long term durability.

Cypress is a soft wood and is going to be easily dinged and damaged from potting activities. I would suggest a soft, flexible finish such as a marine spar varnish. It will "give" when it gets dinged without cracking or crazing. Therefore it will maintain its protective qualities.

Howard,

Good points. High quality marine spar varnish is pretty thick stuff. Would you recommend dilution with naphtha or MS for ease of application and penetration? Multiple coats? :icon_scra

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
I suggest you go to a marina or marine supply store. Look for brands like Pettit, Wolsey, Epifanes or Interlux. Follow the directions on the label. In generally, thinning should not be necessary. The number of coats will be specified in the label instructions.

Asheville Hardware

New User
Asheville Hardware
The finish I use for exterior doors and such that leaves a natural finish that is water resistant is:

equal parts of BLO, naptha, and spar varnish

Apply a coat and wait until it starts to get tacky and then wipe off. If you let it sit to long it really requires some wiping. Check it a couple hours for bleeding and wipe if needed. Let it dry overnight and the repeat the process. I usually apply no less than 4 coats. The look is a satin clear finish that holds up well. I have had doors up for over 15 years that have required only a one coat touch up every few years. It gives a really nice hand rubbed satin finish.

Stave

I will certainly be trying this mixture next time I have an outdoor project! Sounds like a good one. Usually, something you mix yourself is going to outperform anything straight off the shelf. Thanks for sharing!

FWIW, we do carry all three of those things here at the store. :)
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors