Black Walnut deal on CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
A tad high for undried wood, but 21" wide boards that are clear bring a premium.
This wood will have a different color than the "steamed" stuff you get from commercial outfits.

I do know that dried, clear "unsteamed" solid heartwood FAS both sides brings upward to 8-10/bf in the widths mentioned and more if claro or english walnut.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
He does say "most" is 4". At the Hardwood Store, the 300+ price is about what you quoted for 8/4 (6.80), but for 12/4 it is 8.40. They don't show 16/4, but I suspect you would see another big jump.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
He does say "most" is 4". At the Hardwood Store, the 300+ price is about what you quoted for 8/4 (6.80), but for 12/4 it is 8.40. They don't show 16/4, but I suspect you would see another big jump.

The Hardwood store is a legitimate outlet, this guy has this stuff parked next to his house:nah:. I'm not looking for a great deal, but I'm not going to pay the same price for a Dewalt Circ. saw sold out of somebody's trunk as I would from a BORG. Also, the 12/4 from the Hardwood store is KD, The stuff from this guy will finish being AD in another 3 years, maybe.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
You're preaching to the choir - I won't pay that (check my last two gloats; I am a bargain hunter :) ), but I understand how he might come up with rationale for it. I am trying to give the guy a benefit of a doubt and run my post count up.:mrgreen:

The "not dry" is a big concern after reading Scott's comments on the wood storage thread; it could look fine now and you could store it fine for a couple of years and then see problems caused by how it was stored up until now.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
That wood is nice and expensive out of my league.

What we keep track of the posts. I hadn't noticed.....:rotflm:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
With my luck, I would pay that price, stack it and end up with case hardened walnut!!

I'd be better off taking the 8 grand and putting it on red on the roulette wheel, at least thats a 50/50 chance. That wood at that price is too much of a gamble for me. He doesnt even have it placed well for air drying, it's almost against the house:dontknow:.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think we need a forum "Found For Sale/ Not So Hot Deals". This, and the rusty tool collection would certainly fit the category :)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
For that kind of money I'd be out searching for someone w/ a few BW trees and getting a portable mill to come out and saw them up. $2500 will split up nicely between the land owner and the mill owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors