Black Locust - It aint just for fence posts anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
ya shoulda called...... I don't mind givin out useless advice.:gar-Bi table looks great and I know what it took to get it that nice.:eek:ccasion1 I wanna see pics a year or 2 from now. that stuff is fairly elastic outside :roll:. if ya know what I mean.:gar-La;

M

McRabbet

Great job on the drawer/apron assembly -- that's the very best way to achieve those kind of results. Excellent job, Jeff.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jeff, I like that table a lot. I did the front of my nightstand the same way you described doing the front of your table. Definitely looks great. Nice job! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
uggg... I hate drawers, I need a drawer making class. Anyways here's some more pics with the drawer in and sliding.

Looks tight as a banker's heart. Nicely done.

Jeff, I hate makin' and hangin' doors. :realmad: Maybe we should start a list, so somebody in the know can clue us in on our WW'ing shortcomings. :widea:

Mike Stanley

New User
Mike
That's a really beautiful use of low-cust. Bunches of it around here that I've been splitting for fence rails. Now I think I'm going to cut some boards to dry and use it maybe next year.:eusa_clap

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
That's a really beautiful use of low-cust. Bunches of it around here that I've been splitting for fence rails. Now I think I'm going to cut some boards to dry and use it maybe next year.:eusa_clap

Mike, honestly quarter saw it, it's a lot more stable that way than flat sawn. Ain't that right Fred?

Mike Stanley

New User
Mike
I have a 40,000 dozer that I have parked on locust boards, but last time I looked, the dozer was sitting up on one side with a curl of lumber under one tread.
We lifted a tractor trailer up and sat it on the dozer and the board actually went flat for a couple of days, then curled right up again.:rotflm:
Quarter sawing seems to be the answer, thanks.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I have a 40,000 dozer that I have parked on locust boards, but last time I looked, the dozer was sitting up on one side with a curl of lumber under one tread.
We lifted a tractor trailer up and sat it on the dozer and the board actually went flat for a couple of days, then curled right up again.:rotflm:
Quarter sawing seems to be the answer, thanks.

You should see what happened to some flat sawn sweet gum I got air drying, talking about swisted sister... Some of the boards must have twisted 30 degrees from one end to the other and that's with about 1500 board foot of oak on top of it. It's a real shame, that sweet gum was some of the prettiest lumber I ever cut. I might be able to salvage some of it but the lions share is junk.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
uh huh!:BangHead: the only way to keep flat sawn locust strait is to park a truck on it.:rotflm:

Fred if I were a board and had a hot tub one one side of me and the outdoors on the other side - I might not know how to behave either :gar-La;

Mike Stanley

New User
Mike
Several years ago I came upon a couple of fellas trying to drop this huge huge sweet gum over this woman's house. The tractor they had attached to it wasn't doing much either. So, like a nut, I turned in and took out my "Steel" chain saw with the three foot bar and cut them a notch in the correct fashion and the tree fell in the correct direction. Happy as larks, they gave me the whole tree-- took me two trips with the big trailer, but I got it to my shop. We lathe turned most of it, and I got the idea that I wanted to make me a 36" diameter bowl. OK, this is fine. I rough cut the bowl to about 2.5" thick and let it dry. After about a year, I started the final rounding. The darn thing looked good. I'd go to lunch and come back to continue cutting and to my amazement it was out of round again, and again and again. Grrrrrrr! Finally I got it finished and took a picture with my mother sitting inside the thing. It does stop warping after a while, but you'll have to do all sorts of things like kicking your tires twice a day, doing an Indian war dance around the wood, sing to it every other day, especially on dry sunny days, and finally, get up at 3am to chant at it. Sweet ain't it?-gum that is.:BangHead:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Hello Jeff,

I'd be interested in seeing some QS wood just for curiosity. You had an earlier post that said it was an absolute bear to mill and work. Do you think that QS will be more forgiving? :dontknow:

Kinda like hand planing 318 stainless steel? :icon_scra

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hello Jeff,

I'd be interested in seeing some QS wood just for curiosity. You had an earlier post that said it was an absolute bear to mill and work. Do you think that QS will be more forgiving? :dontknow:

Kinda like hand planing 318 stainless steel? :icon_scra

Hey Jeff, Yep your right when I put that log on the woodmizer I really didn't know what I was up against. With a brand new 4degree hook angle blade I sawed it in half, by the time the woodmizer got to the other end, the blade was smokin... So I ground another blade down to a hook angle to darn near close to zero and it worked a lot better after that. There's harder wood out there, don't get me wrong but at 1700 according to the jinka scale it's some hard stuff.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Hold up there cow-pokes. I might have over stepped my bounds here... I've got issues with this table. BAD table top glue joint separation. I'll need to rip the top down two of the glue joints and re glue. I might as well do all three joints while I'm at it. This time I'll try Titebond III or maybe polyurethane?

Thanks

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
sorry to hear this jeff, but I kinda expected it.:cool: some stuff just aint made for furniture.:nah: keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS