Best value for the money???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Which one is best value for the dollars spent?
PM2000
SAWSTOP
DELTA UNISAW

ALL 2010/11 NEW MODELS

Thanks,
Tim:dontknow:

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
You have a good starting list

Grizzly

I have had Grizzly and Delta Unisaw and found them both great. Used Powermatic and it is a good saw. All three are great saws and comparable to each other. I won't mention the other 'cause my feelings surface too much.

Good luck on your decision.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I don't think you will go wrong w/ any one of those saws. I happen to have a Unisaw, but I would be just as satisfied w/ either one of the other two.

Bill

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm not sure how one quantifies value, beauty is so much in the eye of the beholder. What sort of features do you value most?

For example, I'm not interested in the safety device on a SawStop since I am careful, don't let anyone else use my saw, etc. BUT if I was buying it for a school or for use by my kids, that value would change considerably.

I think how precise the blade and fence "feel" is a huge deal. Things like how quick the miter angle stop sets or how much the fence moves out of alignment when being slid. Very nebulous to describe, but I know it when I feel it.

Dust collection above and below would be important to me for a saw that expensive. But my current saw was so cheap I decided to ignore dust collection in favor of basic capability.

Other valuations we all probably think differently about: Ease of changing the blade, usefulness of the riving knife, how easy it is to see through the dust collection or kickback devices, the simplicity of setting miter angle and blade height, feel of the fence face, ability to clamp onto the fence, storage, mobility, resale, parts, country of origin, etc.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Steve,
I value the same qualities as you. . . I approach a tablesaw or any power tool the same as I have approached high risk evolutions in my career. Training, awareness, and not allowing complacency in the picture is key. I am really torn between the UNISAW and PM. Both are high quality and every used saw I have looked at lately (sometimes traveling over 200 miles one way) seem to have be misused or did not meet my needs. So. . . due to price of fuel and the fact that I will finish building my workshop in the next month or so; I was considering a new saw with all the whistles (without having to sale my Harley to pay for the shop or the tools) Thanks for your input, Tim

TimO

New User
Tim
Tim:

I have the Sawstop with the 52" fence and the over table dust collection and it is a very nice saw to use. I have had it about 2 years and selected in primarily because it seemed to be on par with the available Unisaw and Powermatic but included the safety feature. With fence and mobile base it was around the same price as similarly configured Delta and Powermatic saws. It is the 3HP single phase. Also, Sawstop is currently including the dust collection at no additional charge (through 3/31). I have looked at the newer Sawstops and would still get the industrial. It seems to be much more robust than the "Professional".

While I try to always be respectful of the tools I use it only takes one slip to cause a problem. An accident is an accident precisely because you did not see it coming. I have found the safety feature to be a drawback in only three instances, 1) if you have a false trigger (I have had 1 in 2 years from a staple in a board that I did not notice), 2) having to swap the cartridge when you go from a conventional blade to a dado blade and 3) sensing a blade that has widely spaced teeth, such as the Forrest rip blade.

Of these issues I typically use a metal detector on any new wood I bring in the shop before I saw or plane it so the false triggers should not happen again. The other two are just things that I have learned to live with.

My previous saw was a Delta Contractor with a Unifence so any of the saws you are considering would be a big upgrade from what I had. I did, however, really like the Unifence. The ability to have a short fence was nice.

Good luck in your search. You probably can't go wrong with any of the three.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS