Bench Belt/Disc Sander Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
I'm in the market for a medium duty bench belt/ disc sander. Does anyone have a recommendation on which is the better / best buy?

Thanks,
Kave2u

manfre

New User
Manfre
I was about to make a similar post, so I'll just add a question or two to this one. How useful is a 6" disc? It seems like you could sand at most a 1" x 2" piece. Do the PSA discs lose their stickiness if they are swapped out frequently for different grits?

My hunting has been focusing more toward either the Rikon 4" x 36" belt/6" disc model 50-110 or the Grizzly G0547, which seems to be the same style. A 6" x 48" belt sander would be really useful, but I'm not sure I would use the extra width enough to justify the huge price jump.

Sealeveler

Tony
Corporate Member
For a smaller unit I have a Delta 1" belt and 8" disc that is very useful and no problems yet.The disc is more useful than the belt.As far as changing the disc for different grits,I use spray contact glue for the second use as the origanial glue looses its stickieness.
Tony

T

toolferone

I have a 12" disc and use it all the time and like the size.I gave my brother a 4" x 36" wthe 5"disc that I never used the disc on. I also have a 1" x 42" belt I use once in a while, but expect to use more if/when I make some knives.

My .02 worth.

09woodie22

New User
Gabe
I was given a Ryobi 4x36" bench sander with a 6" disc for Christmas last year. :banana: Great present! Fairly good quality, solid, runs well, and is reasonably portable from shelf to benchtop. For those of us that have small shops and space is at a premium, this is a very good addition; in my humble opinion!

Gabe

manfre

New User
Manfre
Given the choice of a 12" disc or a 4"x36" belt/6" disc, which would be the better option?

I'm not sure about Kettrell, but I will most likely be working with smaller pieces; kid toys, segmented bowls, etc.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have two Belt/disc sanders, both 6x48 with 12" disks. One is in my metal shop, and the other in the wood shop. Both are Grizzly units; one is the 3450 rpm version (G1183) and the other is the 1725 rpm version (G1276).

I use the disk and the belt about the same amount. The nice thing about the larger diameter disk is that the surface speed of the sandpaper varies depending upon how far from the center that you are sanding, and I find that I like the different techniques that this allows.

I've had no problems with either unit.

The only time that I've had problems with the sandpaper becoming unattached on the disk is when it is very cold out (my metal shop is in a shed with one open side, and thus it gets quite brisk in there at certain times of the year).

macdaddy

New User
Steve
Now lets talk price. I went cheep, cheep, cheep. I bought a 4"x36"/6" disc from Harbor Freight with a coupon for 50 bucks. The belt pulls to one side but stays on and gets the job done. At the time my thought was the motor itself was worth at least the 50 bucks.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
The rikon sold at woodcraft right now for $99 gets horrible reviews. I bought the porter cable 4 inch belt 8 inch disc from Lowes and really like it. Runs smooth, belt tracks great, dust collection, 90° angle adjustment, heavy, and its a great size for my two car garage. I paid 150 and don't regret it a bit. I was going to get the HF 12 inch disc which actually gets good reviews except for the table, but decided that i did want a belt. So far I haven't found any limitations.

kave

Kettrell
Corporate Member
Good morning, Thanks to all of you for your thoughts/recommendations and advice. I just purchased the PORTER-CABLE 4" x 8" Bench Belt/Disc Sander with Santa $ at Lowe's. P/C makes a fine product from what I understand. Plus I'm a Lowe's rat + stock holder and since we have a store locally I'm compelled to support my local dudes.

Thanks again,
Kettrell

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I've had combination belt/disk sanders with 6" and 10" disks. One was benchtop, the other floor standing. I upgraded from the bench to the larger model because I found the 6" disk to be too small to be useful. But I then got rid of the floor-standing unit because I have a small shop and couldn't justify the floor space for something I didn't use that often. After I got better at sharpening a scraper, my use of the belt part of the sander dropped quite a bit. I now have the rigid oscillating belt/spindle sander, which I use a lot and can be stowed away easily. I made my own 10" sanding disk that I put on the table saw when I need it.

Rob

New User
Rob
One reason I like the rikon above, the belt is over the disk, instead of behind it. I don't use the belt as often as I do the disk, but being above has helped in some instances.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
The porter cable has the belt and disc on opposite sides, and I really like the table for the belt. It let's you use the belt vertically.

PCB420SA_1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS