Behold the stool

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I started working on this stool when my wife was pregnant with my son. He is now 7. For some reason, it got set aside for a few years. I started working on it again this summer. All the big pieces were cut, planed and jointed by power tools in a class. Except for the dadoes, I cut all the tenons and mortises by hand and and cut the curves with a bow saw. There's some joints I'm not proud of in there that are held together with epoxy. I'm not sure what those lines are on the top, but I couldn't sand them out and they popped right out when I put the Danish oil on them. It looks worse in the photo. My wife didn't notice them until I pointed then out and she likes it anyway. I think it would only take me 6 years to make another one.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well done, Bryan.:eusa_danc

Sure looks sturdy and should stand up to the test of time.

Mortice's look super nice!

Wayne

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Good Job Bryan. Not to worry about those joints you referred to. If you have to point them out then it doesn't count.
Besides that, as long as your wife likes it, that's all that count.

MAC

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Great job!

7 years in the making, hand and power joinery and some high tech adhesives!

All that and it looks great to boot!

Congrats.

Whats next in the queue?

Jim

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Great job!

7 years in the making, hand and power joinery and some high tech adhesives!

All that and it looks great to boot!

Congrats.

Whats next in the queue?

Jim

I have a few things in my head. Bench hooks and saw benches that are friendly to Japanese pull saws. I think I know how to do the bench hooks, I'm still thinking about the saw bench. Then I really need to build a tool box to store all the new and old new tools I have bought over the last year or so.

Edit: Oh, and I have a Stanley #7 waiting to be painted, tote refinished, and tuned.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I started working on this stool when my wife was pregnant with my son. He is now 7. I think it would only take me 6 years to make another one.

I also believe it is a good idea to let the stock equilibrate well before making joints and assembling. :gar-La; :gar-La;

Looks pretty good to me! :cool:

Chuck

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Great work Bryan. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I'm sure they'll really enjoy it. :icon_thum

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Edit: Oh, and I have a Stanley #7 waiting to be painted, tote refinished, and tuned.
When I first started buying old tools I stripped and painted an old Stanley #8. It wasn't pretty. It was black and shiny, but didn't look anything like the original Japanning. Since then I just clean them up (they all seem to have paint splatters on them) and apply a light coat of wax to hold off rust. Same thing for the tote and knob: clean with OOOO steel wool and a little wax. Just a thought! :wsmile:

Bill

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I know what you mean. This one was pretty rusty and the jappanning was pretty worn off. I think I will feel better with some paint to hold off the rust. I just use appliance epoxy. I have done this a #5 with this too. Neither were going to win a beauty contest before or after.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think it looks great Brian. Plus, it's a step stool. Any attempts to perfect the finish on top is a wasted effort...the first time a muddy shoe hits it it all becomes irrelevant. 7 years? Thank you for sharing that. Suddenly I don't feel so bad about my lack of progress :)

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Very nice. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

As far as bench hooks for pull saws, I use the same one pushing or pulling. You hold the stock against the back edge to keep it still either way. When using a pull saw, the stock wants to pull away and while using a push saw it wants to rock. The same grip and pressure keeps it there either way.

bwat

New User
Bill
I've been hesitant to open this link due to the title but...

I think we all have those "roun tuit" projects that get put on a shelf and forgotten.

Great job.:icon_thum

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I've been hesitant to open this link due to the title but...

I think we all have those "roun tuit" projects that get put on a shelf and forgotten.

Great job.:icon_thum

I'll bet you were relieved when you saw the pictures.:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS