? Before Getting Started on Gun Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Folks, I am thinking that some pocket hole joinery would be the way to join a lot of the gun cabinet that I need to get started. Not having any experience with the pocket hole joinery systems I could use some advice. Would it be a good idea to use pocket hole joints in the making of an aromatic red cedar cabinet? What jig system do you suggest? I would like to get a good quality jig system and have looked at the Kreg jig system, but do not know. Please help with advice. Thank You. Steve

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve I have not build a cabinet such as you describe but I have built a wall of books cases for my DD using a kreg jig system. It was quick, easy and very strong. I have the Kreg K4 master system. The system normally cost $139. If you order it from Klingspor you save $13.90 based on your DQ status. Also Kreg has a $15 mail in rebate so total out of pocket would be $110 plus shipping. Well worth it.

Kreg also has a great web site on "how to" and ideas
http://kregjig.ning.com/

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Here is advise on the cabinet design, not the pocket system. Most gun cabinets are made to store the long guns in the verticle, this is wrong. The oil in the gun will utimately wind up in the wrist (grip area) and make it soft and is prone to breakage. I know you have seen dozens of long guns with tape etc. around the grip area. This is where they broke from being softened by the oil from being stored upright. They should be stored horizontal with the barrel sloping toward the muzzle.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Pocket hole construction is strong and durable regardless of whether the guns are stored vertically or horizontally.

The rot issue is a result of poor firearm maintenance/cleaning and not cabinet construction. The cause: Over application of oil to the barrel and action without major follow-up swabbing to leave just an imperceptible coating (or less) for protection. :eek:

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I have a Kreg jig and have built two cabinets with it. The first cabinet was an entertainment center where I used almost 300 screws. The panels go together quickly, but the angle of the screws has a tendency to pull the two panels out of square. My suggestion is to clamp each panel before applying the screws. This will help keep it square. Good luck and take some WIP pictures to share.

Steve

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Thanks for the replies from everyone. I believe the Kreg K4 Master system will be on my to get list. It sounds as if I could use this on several up coming projects. Thanks again for the advice. Steve

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I'm not really into pocket screws to be honest - yes they are fast and yes the joint is strong. But you sure do hog out a lot of wood making the pocket some of which will show and looks like someone when crazy with a drill bit. Don't get me wrong pocket screws have their place in wood working, I just don't like them much when it comes to furniture.

My first preference for case joinery is the good old mortise and tendon, completely invisible when done right, lots of glue surface, strong as heck. Only down side is they are time consuming to make. But a couple of quickly made router templates, a router, template bushing and a straight bit and your off to the races.

My Second preference is the good old stand by hardwood dowel. Easy, fast, lots of glue surface and fairly strong - self centering dowel jig, drill bit drill a few packs of dowel centers and a depth stop colar for the drill bits are all that''s really needed - all of those are cheap. Along these same lines comes the "biscuit" albeit I would rather eat a biscuit it to has it's place in wood working. With the right "biscuit jointer" setup you can whip through case construction but does require special tools and screws - that are rather expensive in comparison to wood dowels.

Another option is screw and wood plugs - fast easy strong and if done right hardly noticeable all that's required are standard run of the mill wood screws, standard drill bits and the right size plug cutter.

My least desirable option is a brads either by hand or with a nail gun - sure is fast and easy, not very strong, just seems kind of "tacky" if you know what I mean.

Thanks

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
If you can perchance find a K-3 Kreg system on Craigs List or elsewhere, you won't regret it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS