beeswax and naptha

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I made this concoction a long time ago to make sure cauls dont stick and started slathering it onto my workbench so I could do glue ups right on the workbench. I'm starting to run low and before I make another batch want to know if there other alternatives? This mixture is pretty flameable so looking for something "safer". This stuff smells great and tends to attract flying buzzkills when its warmer.

20191028_182605.jpg

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Mineral oil and beeswax works A+. 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. You can also cut it with turpentine as you please to allow you to put more wax in without reducing its spreadability.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
+1 on Beeswax and mineral oil. I've used it on bowls as well. Mineral oil and paraffin would be even more cost effective. I've also used that.

zapdafish

New User
Steve
I got in on a group buy of beeswax many years ago and still have quite abit left plus the added bonus of the smell.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 on Beeswax and mineral oil. I've used it on bowls as well. Mineral oil and paraffin would be even more cost effective. I've also used that.
I've also used this concoction to seal green lumber for turning.

rustisamust

New User
Joseph
I also like beeswax and oil soft wax, although I prefer a food-grade drying oil (walnut, flax, grapeseed, etc.). Veg oils seem more durable to me, but they do go off if you don't use the wax within six months or so. It's easy to make, though, so I just do small batches.

Current recipe is 2:1 oil:wax, put in a glass jar and melted together in a 170f oven (on a baking sheet for safety).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS