Bed side Table - the clock starts now

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Ok Jeff, Now you can start the clock on the bedside table project!

1st pic shows the cherry, curly maple and QSO from The hardwood store. $350 just to start with!

DSCF0078.JPG

After a week in the shop I rough milled it to let it acclimatize to the shop.

After another week I milled the case panels to final dims. Because of the limitations of my 6 inch jointer the case sides which are 13" wide were made from 3 pieces; two of which came from the same board, but re-ripped and grain matched to a 3rd board. I kept the board long enough so that the grain will wrap around the corners of the cases.

After joining the edges using the "book" method to guaranty the joints were good I glued up the panels using the Bow clamp cauls that Dave O lent me - more on those in another review. I had the usual problem of keeping the panels flat under the pressure of the clamps and having the assembly table and being able to clamp down with long cauls really made a good job.

Now the panels are just a shade over 13" wide and not having a wide belt or drum sander, I proceeded to plane them by hand to flat and level. That's 12 sides!!! I almost worked up a sweat!

Some pics

DSCF0079.JPG

The 1/2" spacers needed to use the bow clamps

DSCF0080.JPG

DSCF0083.JPG

Applying downward pressure

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What is with the plastic? Do you normally do downward pressure on panels like that?

Curious minds want to know.

DavidF

New User
David
What is with the plastic? Do you normally do downward pressure on panels like that?

Curious minds want to know.

The plastic is between the 1/2" spacer MDF panels and the panel being glued up so that the panel doesn't end up stuck to the spacers.

Yes I do, because of the difficulty in putting the clamp pressure exactly in the centre of the edges and the fact that they are under quite heig pressure, the panels can come out not quite flat. It also helps keep the edges of the boards aligned when there is no other method of alignment.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
So, does the clock start at the time of your post or a week ago, or two weeks ago? :lol:

Looking at the panel glue up I am trying hard to see an advantage of the bowclamp over regular clamps. Maybe price?

As always, I look forward to your WIP pics! :icon_thum

Chuck

DavidF

New User
David
So, does the clock start at the time of your post or a week ago, or two weeks ago? :lol:

Looking at the panel glue up I am trying hard to see an advantage of the bowclamp over regular clamps. Maybe price?

As always, I look forward to your WIP pics! :icon_thum

Chuck

To give me a chance with "Otto" can we call it this post:eusa_pray
Talking of "Otto" it's like waiting for the grim reaper to knock, talk about pressure:lol: :lol: I'm going to CA for a week next week! do I need someone to keep him at bay?:lol:

I'll do a quick review of the bow clamps over in reviews.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Otto waits 30 days or so on new threads before he closes them for inactivity... So, I think you are safe.

DavidF

New User
David
Otto waits 30 days or so on new threads before he closes them for inactivity... So, I think you are safe.

30 days! that's nothing for me:lol: I might not do anything memorable for months:lol: :lol: Seriously; I think "Otto" is an absolute necessity and a perfect slave driver:lol:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Bump. Clock has started over. No progress?

David, take your time. I am in serious danger of setting a new NCWW Project Duration record with my current project. I believe that you are the current record holder based on your 2006 performance and I really don't want to be the 2007 recipient of this award! :lol: :lol:

Chuck

DavidF

New User
David
Bump. Clock has started over. No progress?

I keep going away! CA for a week, then last w/e was still messing with that $%^^table that I re-finished and this w/e we are going to Topsail Island until Sunday PM! Last night I did laminate up the poplar to make the block that holds the MLCS DT jig that I will use for the case side DT's. I also need to laminate up another couple of long boards for the fence for my new cross cut sled. The mitre fence on the tablesaw sliding table just won't stay square and I need to cross cut the glued up panels for the cases perfectly square over 13" wide, not something I trust that mitre fence to do reliably. I was also going to try and see you this w/e to use your drum sander for the panels, but maybe next saturday??? are you around? Thanks for the bump though:lol: saved Otto knocking on my door!

DavidF

New User
David
David, take your time. I am in serious danger of setting a new North Carolina Woodworker Project Duration record with my current project. I believe that you are the current record holder based on your 2006 performance and I really don't want to be the 2007 recipient of this award! :lol: :lol:

Chuck

The title is yours if you want it...:lol: For the first time I will be doing two projects in parallel; these bed side cabs for ourselves and the dining table commision. Will be buying the QSWO in April for that one. not sure how to manage! Guess the paying one comes first!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Looks like a nice start.

Really nice looking wood, too. But now I know why I'm spending all this effort to develop local sources of cheap hardwood!! $350 doesn't go very far these days!

I like your corner lumber rack :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DavidF

New User
David
Looks like a nice start.

Really nice looking wood, too. But now I know why I'm spending all this effort to develop local sources of cheap hardwood!! $350 doesn't go very far these days!

I like your corner lumber rack :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ah yes, the "free form" lumber rack - on my list of things to fix......

J

jeff...

David It's been about a month now - You must be like me, running wide open with to much to do and not enough time to do it.;-)

cskipper

Cathy
To give me a chance with "Otto" can we call it this post:eusa_pray
Talking of "Otto" it's like waiting for the grim reaper to knock, talk about pressure:lol: :lol: I'm going to CA for a week next week!

Gee, I didn't know CA worked on Otto:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors