Bear head Tomahawk Stage 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member

Finishing out the hair and head I thought I would paste in a few photos. I'm trying to replicate some of the original texture here and its a learning curve .. a steep one at times. To get the hair I burned in the grooves. Once I got something like the original, I used some ground up walnut husks, dried them a few years and mixed them in alcohol. Covered the head to make it darker than the handle.

I used some red, yellow and brown powder to mix up a dye for the handle. I'm going to leave it a bit rough and thats a challenge. I keep reaching for a piece of sandpaper but I'm holding out so far.

I filed the handle but finished out with scrapers and left a bit of tooling marks on it. As a final step I am "boning" it to get a burnished surface before I oil it. I didn't use a bone I used and old steel rod I have around here. It crushes the fibers on the surface and gives it a different feel. I might do that to the ball but I am afraid of making it a 21st century model.

Any further interest you can see some other shots in the photo gallery danmart77 under carving stuff.

later
dan

DSC08258.JPG

View image in gallery

DSC08252.JPG

View image in gallery

DSC08243.JPG

View image in gallery

DSC08257.JPG

View image in gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.