Bay wood bowl blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Recently I was cleaning up around edge of the fields on my farm with the backhoe and pushed what I tought was just an old dead tree down. The top was gone and with no limbs I assumed the entire trunk was probably rotten. When I pushed it over I realized about 10-12' of the trunk was solid. It was a Bay tree. Not sure which species since there seems to be lots of Bay trees varities.

I was able to get 6 nice blocks from the truck. Very wet and very heavy wood.

DSC08104.JPG

I called it "Poor man's walnut" because of the color of the wood.

DSC08105.JPG

A roughed out bowl. The rim is not really as wide as it appears. I used the 10% rule.

DSC08107.JPG

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Generally but not always a tree dies of natural causes from the top down, so it's usally the worse of the grade logs rot first. There are exceptions... like butt rot which the tree rots from the butt up but it usually falls from the wind before to much rot in the upper part the tree occurs. Dropping standing dead trees can be very dangerous. Because it's the upper part of the tree that can and often does break loose as the tree starts to fall and a big branch could easily fall on your head and kill you, be careful out there ok?

That being said looks like some nice bowl blanks :thumbs_up

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That is some very pretty wood Dolan. :icon_thum I don't know much about Bay trees, but it looks good to me.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
. Because it's the upper part of the tree that can and often does break loose as the tree starts to fall and a big branch could easily fall on your head and kill you, be careful out there ok?

That being said looks like some nice bowl blanks :thumbs_up

Thanks for the warning Jeff. The tree didn't have any limbs and what was remaning of the trunk was only about 12-14'. I'm very familiar with what a tree limb falling can do - I lost a brother that way.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thanks for the warning Jeff. The tree didn't have any limbs and what was remaning of the trunk was only about 12-14'. I'm very familiar with what a tree limb falling can do - I lost a brother that way.

I'm so sorry to hear that and didn't mean to rub any salt into any old wounds. It's a very real risk that I don't think many realize and just wanted to raise awareness. I've had a few close calls that caused me to change my underwear but thankfully nothing more than that.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is some pretty wood Dolan and nice bowl so far.

It kinda of looks like Hickory to me, but a little dark.?????

Dragon

New User
David
Well Dolan, that's some sure pretty wood there. I was showing the pics to the LOML and she says she sees a frog in that plate. Looking at it from a distance, yep, it's there and that cactus looks nice too.:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS