Bathroom vanity update (painted pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

This morning I went and bought an oil based primer and paint for the vanity I have been working on. I am still very much a newbie at spraying, but trying to learn. 1st pic is the dark gray primer. The color is in the burgandy family. We are trying to match the wall paper. I brought in a piece of the paper to the paint store to match it. I think it is a little to pink. We will wait and see till the second coat.

bv%20primed.jpg
bv%20p%201.jpg

bv%20p%20knobs.jpg
bv%20p%20doors.jpg

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Looking good, Tom!

I'm in the process of learning to spray also. I got a Binks HVLP off Ebay a few years back and am just now using it for the first time on the backbench. Though I got ok results so far on the upper cabinets, I think the gun had too big of a fluid nozzle so I got a smaller one for shooting the lower cabinets- which I hope to spray on Sunday. I am using a waterborne conversion varnish from Target Coatings. Goes on nice, easy to build up, flows out and dries very quickly, and has burn-in like lacquer if the second coat is shot within 2 hours; and no VOCs! By the time I'm done shooting 4 cabinet doors I can go back and start sanding! I can do three coats in less than half a day! Since it is waterborne, cleanup is a snap.

If you are going to be spraying more drawers and doors you need a spraying table and drying racks. My friend who has a small cabinet shop puts his doors on a platform that has screws/nail sticking up from the bottom to support the work. The platform is mounted to a lazy susan- he gently lays a door on the screws/nails and shoots the back face, grabs the edges, turns it over, then shoots one edge, rotates the platform and shoots another edge, etc. then he shoots the face. He picks up the door from underneath with two thin boards that have brads shot though them and puts the door on a rack. The rack also has screw/nails coming up through arms. Any marks made in the finish by the screws/nails are almost imperceptible and in the back of the doors anyway. This allows him to shoot the entire door in one session in about 30 seconds. When I finish staining today I'll be making a foldaway drying rack. I've got pics of my friend's set-up but will be taking pics of my own version and will post when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS