Bathroom Vanity (DRAWERS ADDED)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

I told my wife that I wanted to work in the shop this week as I had not done much out there lately. This a long over due project, so it seemed like a logical choice. I drew up the plans from scratch using a pre-formed top as a guide to dimensions. It will have a single bowl solid surface top on it and will be painted burgundy.
This is about 4 hours work so far. The wood is wormy maple and cheap Lowe's plywood. It is 33" tall, 20" deep & 46" wide. The legs are 1.5" square tapered at the bottom 4.25". The drawers will be 2 @ 8", 2 @5" & 2 @ 4.5" tall and 19" deep. It will have a pair of doors and a false drawer in the top middle. All the drawers and doors will be inset flush with the face frame. The drawer fronts will be solid wood and the doors will be rail & stile with a flat plywood panel. I will use full extension ball bearing drawer slides. The knobs will be wood and painted. I am shooting for a Shaker feel to it.

bv%203.jpg
bv%206.jpg

http://www.dreamshopwoodworks.com/bath_vanity.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
T

toolferone

Re: Bathroom Vanity (in progress pics)

I would like your thoughts on this picture.

bv%202%20revel.jpg

I have a 1/8" revel on the right and left side of the cabinet side, and the dividers are flush with the middle supports. The side panels are also sunken in the same way and I was trying to copy it. Am I making any sense here? I am probably not going to change it now but would really like your input. (I guess if EVERYBODY hates it I will figure something out)

bv%20back.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Tom, looking good. I like the reveal on the "legs"

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

I follow what you are talking about. Are the drawers going to be inset from the inner stile or flush with the inner stile? Are the drawers going to have a cockbead around the front, or just be flat?

T

toolferone

I follow what you are talking about. Are the drawers going to be inset from the inner stile or flush with the inner stile? Are the drawers going to have a cockbead around the front, or just be flat?

The drawers will be flush with the inner stile. They will be flat with no cockbead. Just very simple.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

Tom,

I think it's coming together very nicely. I do like the side reveals and the shape of the legs. Will there bi another stile at the top of the doors, or will you use the false drawer front to do that?

Ray

T

toolferone

Tom,
Will there be another stile at the top of the doors, or will you use the false drawer front to do that?
Ray

Ray,

There will be another stile in-line with the top drawer and it will have a false drawer too.

zippymbr

New User
Update your profile with your name

I like it. It makes it look like furniture and not just a plain vanity. This seems the going trend in bathroom design, and I think you have a good take on it.

J

jeff...

Great start, looking good, nice legs, can I say that?

Monty

New User
Monty

Looks like a really good start - I like what you have done with the leg reveal. The only way I could see to do it differently (if you wanted the same reveal on both sides of the drawer) would be to run another pair of "legs" down to the floor. I don't think that would look as good as what you have.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member

Looks good Tom. I'm not sure I understand what look you are going for but think you will end up with a step front if the front rails are flush with the left stile but set back on the right stile.

I would add small stiles flush with the rails on the right side of the drawer opening.

How are you going to mount the cleats for the bb slides? I put flush inset drawers with bb slides in my shop bench and didn't realize until I had done it how much drawer width you lose. If you don't already have the slides, you might consider undermount slides like Blums (with Blumotion :-D )

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

Ray,

There will be another stile in-line with the top drawer and it will have a false drawer too.

Tom,

That will give it, particularly the center section, a very nice balance. Nancy has been talking up the idea of a piece of "furniture" instad of a vanity for our master bath. (I better not let her see your work here.) We went on the last Parade of Homes and as zippy suggested, this is the rage in high end bathrooms. Nice job.

Ray

T

toolferone

How are you going to mount the cleats for the bb slides? I put flush inset drawers with bb slides in my shop bench and didn't realize until I had done it how much drawer width you lose. If you don't already have the slides, you might consider undermount slides like Blums (with Blumotion :-D )

Alan sorry it looks like I edited your post.(I didn't) I hit the wrong button!!!! Still getting used to being a moderator.

I will make up 7/8" think spacers to glue to the side panels for the drawer slides. Even at my cost those Blumotion slides are big bucks.

b4man

New User
Barbara

I really like the design and it looks like you've done a really good job of building it. I am wondering how you connected the frame for the drawers and door after the carcase was built?

T

toolferone

I am wondering how you connected the frame for the drawers and door after the carcase was built?

Barbara,

I cut them to fit snug and tapped them in to position, clamped it to hold it and drove the pocket screws in from the back. The drawer dividers where the same but it cut 2 small spacers to hold them at the right height and level with the divider below it.

b4man

New User
Barbara

Thanks for the explanation Tom and I must say, you did a very good job of keeping it flush which is a problem for me when I've tried to do a similar attachment.

dozer

Mike

Nice looking work so far Tom. I like the idea of the vanity being on legs rather than on the floor it makes it more of a focal point. If you need any info or help on spraying let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS