Banggood domino machine

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
So I got one of these knock off domino machines today. Unfortunately it came without any instructions. Anybody have one of these or have a guess on how to use it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 169

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Thank you I am still trying to get it together some of the thread’s are not through
Post a follow-up when you get it assembled and working. Interested to know how well it works! Domino is definitely out of my price range for as much as I'd use it.

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I am ashamed to say it but I forgot to order dominoes so I can’t see how well it joins. But the machine is together and seems to work well.

Attachments

• 347B43B5-3217-4DF7-AB0B-0C9B0B4CDC86.jpeg
    347B43B5-3217-4DF7-AB0B-0C9B0B4CDC86.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 95

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Looks similar to the Domino cut. Do you have the variability in bit sizes as with the domino? Does it allow cut depth to be varied and controlled?
The only complaint with my domino is that the metric is tough to deal with when everything else in the shop is imperial units. Lumber is generally 3/4”, 1” or 1 3/4” and it is challenging to center a metric sized bore using the gauges on the unit. I have seen 3d printed auxillary tools on Amazon to improve the unit but you can never be sure of the quality of these “homemade” devices.

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I have depth, height, width and size of cut is adjustable with router bit. I am using my marital 1/4 inch trim router for now but have ordered a 65mm spindle. Everything is in metric. I hope to have some dominoes by early next week and will play with it more and let everyone know the pro’s and con’s.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Makita router not marital router. Damn auto correct and lack of proof reading
And here I thought this marital router was one of the things that your wife had brought into the marriage! Sounds like a keeper to me - if only she brought a real Domino, you'd be set.
This looks/sounds like an interesting router jig. I am def. interested in your experience with it. Doubt I'd sell my Domino (I like it a lot), but maybe... I do love the loose tenon way of joinery.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Make a test mortise with the machine, then measure the length, width, and depth of the hole. Typically whatever the wood is I'm using for my project I'll rip some scrap to the thickness of the mortise, then rip that to the width. Or width first then thickness, whichever is most convenient. Then I'll either use a 1/8" round-over bit in my router table to knock off the corners to fit the mortise. Finally cut them a tad short so the don't completely bottom in the mortise. If necessary, fine tune with a block plane. I'll try to fine tune before cutting them to length so while they're still in a long strip. Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I make them like Michael suggested but if I really want them to fit well I cut the thickness a little strong and use my planner to get them to final thickness. I find it much easier to make small adjustments with the planner.

Rjgooden

Big Ron
User
I made a couple with Michael’s methods and tried it out. I am impressed with how easy and accurate it is.

Attachments

• BDDF5E2B-5CB0-43B7-87C1-9DC7FD01446D.jpeg
    BDDF5E2B-5CB0-43B7-87C1-9DC7FD01446D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
  • 26A32342-1018-42F8-AA9F-148FD729D4F1.jpeg
    26A32342-1018-42F8-AA9F-148FD729D4F1.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 90
  • C9F92546-35C5-462F-A441-F9E5C25CCD1E.jpeg
    C9F92546-35C5-462F-A441-F9E5C25CCD1E.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
  • D6B000B3-3CDE-4A75-8127-BB343B48DE90.jpeg
    D6B000B3-3CDE-4A75-8127-BB343B48DE90.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 95

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made a couple with Michael’s methods and tried it out. I am impressed with how easy and accurate it is.
Pretty cool for under $150
It allows the capability of floating tenons for people who won't afford a Domino, but have a few uses for one...

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Glad to see this works well!

I think I saw an ad for this on FB and was intrigued by how well it works.

Thanks for the review! This is a lot more tempting than Domino.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I don't know if anyone cares, though they market some good stuff at low prices, and as others have pointed out here, Banggood rips off a lot of patented US tools and accessories, especially Fesstool, Woodpeckers, etc. There was a long thread about such on the Festoolownersgroup.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors