Bandsaw troubleshooting/help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
Ok, so I have this POS 11" bench style craftsman variable speed bandsaw. It is about as solid as an empty soda can, but it was working for me on some small jobs I have been doing. Anyway, for some reason now the blade will not stay on for anything once power is applied. I have done everything as far as tracking and tension go, but it isn't working.

Yesterday I was trying to really go through it with a fine tooth comb, so I re-did all of the guide and wheel adjustments and tension/tracking adjustments and gave about 20 full hand powered revolutions to see where the blade might be rubbing, or coming off track... but nothing. So I powered it up at 300fps, and slowly turned it up... It looked like it was running ok at slow speed, but at about half speed the saw is vibrating and the blade jumps again. Now this is without feeding any stock, just running the blade only.

So, I open it up again and check the lowest wheel (of 3) and it has a slight wobble to it.... hmmmm
I turn the low wheel a bit and I see the bushing for the bearing extending past where it should be. I give a little tug on the bushing that is exposed, and it slips right out and literally crumbles in my hand :icon_scra I don't think that's supposed to happen....:BangHead:

So here I am with a saw that will not keep a blade on (and it's kind of a disgrace as a saw in the first place) that is driving me nuts, and the worst thing is that sears/craftsman doesn't carry the part I need anymore (this is a 2000 model saw). the part number is 977038-001 on the sears site.

I wanted to run this by you all just in case I might be missing something, or if anyone knows a good source for hard to find/discontinued parts (not the sears parts link please). If not, I guess I'm going to have to take this thing apart and repurpose the motor for another project I have in the works...

Man, it's going to hurt to lose it if that's what it comes to.
Any comments are welcome, thanks for looking.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I have had good luck with McMaster for many things over the years. Try their website, and if that won't cut it then call them. They are very good to work with. Good luck ...

www.mcmaster.com

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
I don't think you need to scrap it. You just have to find good wheel bearings. Here are a couple of places to start:

http://www.bandsawparts.com/

You can also call Louis Iturra at Iturra Designs - 866-883-8064 - He know an incredible amount about bandsaws and is very helpful.

If it were me, I would buy three wheel bearings and either change them all out or have some spares.

Good luck!

Amy

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
To me it sounds like the BS is causing more frustration than you want to put up with. Check Craigslist and the local classifieds and find a saw you can afford and will enjoy using. Those 3 wheel saws can be a real pain.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
To me it sounds like the bandsaw is causing more frustration than you want to put up with. Check Craigslist and the local classifieds and find a saw you can afford and will enjoy using. Those 3 wheel saws can be a real pain.

+1

There are many good deals out there. I personally stay away from anything craftsman when it comes to woodworking equipment. It's not the same company it was years ago. Just my thought's.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS