Backpacking woodwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I keep thinking about Dick Proenneke and his trip to Alaska to build a cabin with just the tools he carried in his backpack. If you haven't seen Alone in the Wilderness you owe it to yourself to take time to watch the movie.

http://www.dickproenneke.com/

So, I'm thinking what if we had a workshop/contest/fun time making furniture/campstool/bowls/spoons/whatever with just a few tools that you could carry in a backpack or small bag.

I'll cut a couple fresh trees with the chainsaw to speed things up a bit, but the rest will be done with ax, drawknife, hand plane, brace and bits, chisels, etc...

I'm thinking maybe November or October after the hot summer days turn to cool chilly nights and a warm campfire with a big pot of chili and a few drinks of your choice would be refreshing after a long day of fun and festivities.

Maybe we can get some prizes lined up for the best efforts?

Anybody interested? Any suggestions?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am interested in the idea. Whether I could actually make it is another story. I keep trying to make plans to get up your way.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I did come up with an idea - treenware! A big pot of chili bubbling within olfactory range; as soon as you come up with a bowl and a spoon you can have some.:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS