Back by popular demand pop-pop's Tall Vise workshop August 26

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Pop-Pop's great criss-cross tall vise build workshop will be held again on August 26 at Charlie's workshop in Raleigh.

This will be the third annual tall vise workshop. Every student will create and take home this great vise designed by pop-pop.

Students will be required to bring pre-sized wood parts. We will supply all of the custom fabricated arms, bearings and other - basically all that you will need to complete this very useful vise.

For your review, Pop-Pop's tall vise instructions can be found under the resources tab

Cost for this workshop is $95 payable directly to Phil. Lunch will be served

We can handle six students plus we will except two on standby

Signup by responding to this thread

Current attendee list as of August 1
1. Aaron Areevesnc
2. Rick Ralrick
3. Matthew Penny
4. David DSWalker

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Here is what this tall vise looks like. It is portable and can be held by another vise or clamped to a bench or table.
BTW, the usual comment from vise owners is “I use it all the time”.
IMG_2654.jpeg

Last edited:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
This workshop was fun and I came home with a great tool. I will always be appreciative of Pop-pop and PhilS for the workshop.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I took this class last year. We had a great time and came away with a very useful tool.
Highly recommend you take part of this class.

Phil, Pop pop, Charlie, if you need another assistant for the day I’ll be available and would be more than happy to be able to give some assistance.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Today, my fountain pen ran dry. Could not unscrew the barrel by hand to install a new ink cartridge (the old one had leaked internally). So, out to the tall vise with its crubber jaws and crubber lined pliers to get it unscrewed. No end of uses.
IMG_4198.JPG

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
A "fountain pen", Mike that is pretty old school! That said, in the days before personal computers I use to love to write with a fountain pen! I ruined several shirts from a leaky pen, after awhile I leaned not to take a fountain pen when flying.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matthew is a high school aged neighbor that has a strong interest in woodworking
Matthews grandmother, whom I know thru my wife's senior group, learned of my woodworking interest and willingness to teach and the connection was made
First project is a set of nesting tables made from cherry with m/t hand cut joinery
Yesterday the tops were glued and flattened and the legs were morticed for the aprons and stretchers
Now he is off to BSA Philmont, upon his return we will complete
Matthews shop is in need of a woodworking vise, so I suggested he join us and build one

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Matthew is a high school aged neighbor that has a strong interest in woodworking
Matthews grandmother, whom I know thru my wife's senior group, learned of my woodworking interest and willingness to teach and the connection was made
First project is a set of nesting tables made from cherry with m/t hand cut joinery
Yesterday the tops were glued and flattened and the legs were morticed for the aprons and stretchers
Matthews shop is in need of a woodworking vise, so I suggested he join us and build one
If he needs one to use until then I can help.

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
That sounds like a pretty impressive first project!

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
In addition to Fred's offer, I could load a portable workstation with a vise.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Anyone else?

Five have signed up to date and there is a slot for one more participant to make their own tall vise.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS