Back Button Broke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Maybe just me:dontknow:, but all day today, if I am reading a post in a given forum and use the IE back button, I receive a message 'Done' but I didn't go anywhere? :BangHead:If I double-click the back button, sometimes I go back 2 pages? The only way I can recover is use the New Posts button at the top of the page or the new 'New Posts' button recently added.

The IE back button works for me at all other sites but here at NCWW?

I am running IE 8.

Strange. Never seen an issue like this here?

Thanks.

Wayne

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Wayne, I used the back button to come back to this post to reply.... I am using Firefox 3.6. Hope this will help in [STRIKE]our[/STRIKE] Jim's troubleshooting of this issue.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Wayne, that is strange.

I read up a bit, looks like the mysterious Back Button Stops working in IE is not that uncommon.

I found this suggestion out there that seemed to help folks:
Going from a Google results page to a hit and hitting the "back" button under IE8 would instantaneously take me back to the hit (as in a fast refresh), rather than to the original results page.
By going to the "Search Settings" on the Google page, and disabling "query suggestions", the problem was gone.
Hope this helps.

Jim
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6

Dragon

New User
David
IE is your main problem in my opinion. Ever considered installing Firefox????
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
I have the same issues as Wayne using IE 8 on this site over the past couple of days. I checked other sites such as Sawmill Creek, Woodnet, NewWoodworker, etc. and they work fine with IE.

I'm not sure what changed with our site, but it makes it difficult changing pages and switching browswer doesn't really solve the site problem. What happens with the new viewer who has IE and can't move around, do they just goes away? We could lose potential new members by just saying fix your own browers, the sites fine. Just my humble opinion. Jim
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
We've not done any major changes this past week.

1. Edited scrolling banner
2. Turned off the vBClassified Forum
3. Added a filter to our robots.txt file to fix a gogglebot error
4. Added new sponsor ad to right column

None of those changes are things we haven't done many times in the past. So, I'd tend to rule out anything we've done (intentionally at least).

In reading reports of back button stopping reports, it does "just happen" on previously working users browsers.

Some found Malware to be a prob. others report a url redirection issue. We do a lot of redirection, but haven't touched that stuff in many moons.

It'd help to know more specific details about the issue. Is it only while viewing posts in a thread? (try looking at a classified ad then going back, or in private messages) What is the url of the page you came from, then the url of the page that fails to go back?

I don't use IE, but it might be worth trying the "query suggestions" fix.

Jim

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Jim,
I went into work and tried our site on both my desktop and a laptop and was able to repeat the problem. Both work computers run IE and use a GOV/Serv based home page and have top of the line security software. On my home laptop I'm using IE with Yahoo is my home page. All three had the same issue with the back button. It didn't matter if I was following a thread or in classifed pages, or photo gallery. Below is the detail from the error message. Hope this helps, Jim

Webpage error details
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)
Timestamp: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 18:43:27 UTC

Line: 2327
Char: 47
Code: 0
URI: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=300878

Line: 2337
Char: 38
Code: 0
URI: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=300878

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Jim, hope you didn't go into work just to test our little old website :)

Boy, this looks to be really common out on the net. So far I've seen everything from eating more garlic to painting your bathroom door blue as a fix.....

Next chance someone gets, when back isn't working, double check the "Refresh" and "Forward" buttons are also working?

Are the buttons greyed out or can you click on them?

Also, try the right click/back option and maybe alt+leftarrow or whatever keyboard shortcuts might work.

When "the Bas" returns, I think he can help me with the IE part. I only run Linux, so I'm not going to be able to recreate myself. :XXcompute

Jim

Dragon

New User
David
Well, I'm not exactly what one could call a computer literate individual but if it helps any..........

I've noticed for the past couple of days whenever I log in 99% of the time my anti virus aborts Firefox but ONLY when I'm logging in to this site. Keeps telling me some sort of .exploit gobbledegook is trying to get in. Works fine when I restart though. :dontknow: :icon_scra :eusa_thin :confused_
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.8) Gecko/20100202 Firefox/3.5.8

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Hmmm, that might be part of it. If you can find more detail on the gobbldegook or if anyone else is seeing that, please let us know.

There have been false positive virus alerts in the past, could be all related?

Jim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
It'd help to know more specific details about the issue. Is it only while viewing posts in a thread? (try looking at a classified ad then going back, or in private messages) What is the url of the page you came from, then the url of the page that fails to go back?

I don't use IE, but it might be worth trying the "query suggestions" fix.

Jim

Jim,

It seems to occur while viewing posts in a thread, in the Classifieds and in the PM area.

Back button works perfectly while viewing pictures in the photo galleries.

In the lower right hand corner the IE status bar says 'Done, with errors on page' then 'Done" - everything then looks normal. When I hit back, nothing happens. I then use the new 'New Posts' button and I get a refresh of all posts. Same message's. The URL's flash by so fast, I can't catch them. Googleads....,. :icon_scra

I wish I could read faster to capture all of URL's before it hits NCwoodworker,net.:BangHead:

Thanks for looking at this. Frustrating, but doesn't keep me away from here.:wsmile:

Wayne

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I might have found something, googlead's is tripping some weird errors.

Keep the reports coming.

Jim

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Not being aware of any of my machines having a "Back Button" I thought maybe this was one more thing I had to watch out for as I get older.....where the heck is my back-butto? Jees I'm getting old!
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; GTB6.3; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; InfoPath.2)

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Jim,
When I hightlight the back button before clicking it show the URL: "alive.servehttp.com/trf/go.php?sid=1"

Hope that's a better clue. Jim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Appears to fixed now, Jim!!!:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

Whatever happened, everything is back to it's great self again.

No errors, hang-ups and the IE back button is back in business!

Thanks again for all you guys do 'round here!

Another happy customer....

Wayne

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, found the offending feature and turned if off.

Now I need to trace down what really caused the problem, as we really need that behind the scenes feature running......

Thanks for all the reports and feedback.

Jim

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
This annoyance is back for me, using IE8. It's only on this site too.
If I click the down arrow beside the Back button, it shows 2 links between where I am and where I was.

The links start as http://www.ncwoodworker.net/doubleclick
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
This annoyance is back for me, using IE8. It's only on this site too.
If I click the down arrow beside the Back button, it shows 2 links between where I am and where I was.

The links start as http://www.ncwoodworker.net/doubleclick
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729)

+1 :dontknow:

I too noticed it acting up intermittently yesterday.

Wayne

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Back to the drawing board for me. :XXcompute:XXfridge:

Thanks for the update.

Jim

gritz

New User
Robert
I still have the IE back arrow problem this AM...
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; GTB6.4; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS