Automated dust collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dnorris1369

Dustin
User
Anyone have any experience with a system like grngate? I'm looking something to just be able to walk over to tool and use it. I guess how to avoid opening and closing blast gates is one big thing I'm looking to do. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Dustin,

Our resident expert on this topic is Alan in Little Washington. Click on the Advanced Search link on the upper right end of the tool bar and search for Automatic Gate and username Alan in Little Washington. He developed a fully automated blastgate system for his shop.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
When the original remote died on my Onieda DC, I built my own switch that turns on the DC when any blast gate is opened. There is also one stand alone switch by my drill press so I can turn on the DC manually. That 4" blast gate stays open all the time.

All of the information I needed to throw this system together was provided by members of NCWW, what a place! This system is no where near as sophisticated (or as cool) as Alan's, but it works fine for me.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44146&highlight=blast+gates

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Oh, that was so many years ago! But my system still works great!

There are many ways to "automate" or semi-automate your DC. I like, many folks, didn't like it when I misplaced my remote, so I put low voltage DC control buttons in convenient locations around my shop. Then I thought it would be nice to automate this process, then I took an honest look at what I really wanted in the way of automation. It wasn't for the wow factor, it wasn't to turn on the blower, though that is still necessary, but what I really wanted was have my blast gates open and close automatically- because I am essentially lazy. When I would quickly jump from machine to machine, more often than not I would neglect to turn on the DC and/or open/close blast gates. So, using parts from Ebay, surplus companies, etc., I built a totally automated electro-pneumatic machine-triggered system.

Current sensor switches at each power outlet detect whenever I turn on a machine. These sensors cause solenoid air valves to port low pressure (8 - 15 psi) shop air to pneumatic cylinders that open (and close) the adjacent blast gates. A secondary sensing circuit detects when any gate is opened and starts the DC blower. I did some scrounging so total cost for each complete station was only about $30. It will be difficult today to do it as inexpensively. Some folks have built DIY electro-mechanical autogates using solenoids or motor/leadscrew/follower actuators, but, for a number of reasons, I decided that pneumatically operated gates would be the best and easiest for me to build.

Norfab and others make some very expensive pneumatically actuated, commercial-grade, metal autogates. At least two companies GrnGate (formerly ECO Gate) and iVac (available at Infinity Tools, Lee Valley, Rockler, etc.) make slightly less expensive electro-mechanical gates for the hobby and the small commercial woodworking shop markets. They rely on current sensors and PLC (logic) modules to control the blast gates and the DC. I believe GrnGate only make 4" gates. Last year iVac introduced new metal 4" and 6" autogates. Each 6" metal iVac gate sells for a mere $250- that doesn't include the sensor modules!

There used to be a video of my system on the American Woodworker website. It got damaged when they changed web hosts and of course a few years ago AWW folded up shop. Unfortunately I somehow lost my original video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS