Australian Burl and Padauk candy dish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
This is my current personal best. It was a real challenge. The top and bottom were turned separately and each component sanded before it came off the lathe. I used one of those contour tools (wires in a row, pressed against wood, shows the reverse contour on the other side of the ruler) to get the bottom curvature of the top, then transferred that pattern to the African padauk wood base. I used epoxy to join the two pieces, then sanded some more in the middle, so it felt seamless. Several good raps to the knuckles, as the clearance was less than 3 inches between the square base and the top live edge (gloves saved me from damage.). I used long strips of sandpaper and went between the pieces with just an index finger to hold down the sandpaper. The photos are accurate for color. Max top rim diameter 9". Height 3". depth of 'candy holding area 1 1/16" and diameter of candy holding area 3 3/4". Sanded to 2000 grit. finish as shown is walnut oil, but I am going to apply several coats of minwax tung oil finish and build up a little shine on it. Time invested: 15 hours over a period of 4 days.

redMallee2fb.jpg

redmallee3fb.jpg

RedMallee1fb.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
GREAT JOB -
The form really brings out the colors and texture of both woods!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Dave,

Your turning is a magnificent piece, but to be honest (even though you collect the uranium glass), the color of the lid detracts from the beauty of the two woods. I could see a clear glass lid (perhaps), but I really think it is most stunning without the lid. Just my opinion...

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Dave,

Your turning is a magnificent piece, but to be honest (even though you collect the uranium glass), the color of the lid detracts from the beauty of the two woods. I could see a clear glass lid (perhaps), but I really think it is most stunning without the lid. Just my opinion...

I totally understand where you are coming from....which is most likely the perspective of a woodworker/wood turner (or you would not be on this forum! LOL). When I take it for show and tell to my monthly turner's meeting, I will leave the lid at home. When I show it to my glass collecting friends, the extra accent is appreciated, because they like that glass too. I have NUMEROUS pieces of vaseline glass that incorporate red into the yellow piece, and it is one of my favorite color combinations.

Here is a link to a $5000 vase that uses that color combination.
http://www.vaselineglass.org/lambert7.jpg
It has a red outer layer and a yellow inner layer, and the glass cutter cuts through the outside layer to expose the inner layer. While any wood I turn will never be worth that amount of money, the color combination is popular with the people who collect vaseline/uranium glass. (but...I see your point from the perspective of a woodworker and not a glass collector).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS