Attaching 2x4 to cinder block colum

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Hey ya'll I am wanting to put up some shelves in my shop for drying blanks. I have some colums made of cinder block that has been painted. I am planing to attach some 2x4's for shelf supports and was thinking Liquid Nails would be the ticket. Any thoughts???

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Drill a hole and insert a toggle bolt - the kind with wings.

toggle1.jpg

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Drill a hole and insert a toggle bolt - the kind with wings.
+1 for toggles or another mechanical fastener.
I use construction adhesives a lot but for this application you would be better off with toggles or sleeve anchors. You can get some anchors up to 3/8" with a countersunk head that will finish flush with your timber if that's an issue. The toggles will only work if the blocks cells aren't filled with mortar or concrete. If it is a column they probably are.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
tap-con. drill and screw.:icon_thum quick easy and they hold. you can get them in philips head and hex head. be sure to get the drill bit that is made for them.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
tap-con. drill and screw.:icon_thum quick easy and they hold. you can get them in philips head and hex head. be sure to get the drill bit that is made for them.

+1 for TapCon fasteners. You get what you pay for! And while you're grabbing the screws, go ahead and grab a couple of their masonry bits. It's amazing how quickly you'll wear one out.

The TapCon fasteners are what I used to hang my cabinets with in the shop.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I have to agree with the tapcon screws as they will hold very well in cinder block. I suggest the hex head and you can even get the kit that the bit and driver are quick change so you can drill the hole and drive the screw with just slipping it together. You will be amazed at how many uses you will find for them. A hammer drill would be my suggestion also to drill the holes and it will also prolong the life of the bits. Steve

James Davis

New User
James Davis
Tap-cons are great if you are sure to get them long enough and do not strip them out when screwing them in. I also am a fan of lead sheilds and lag bolts in block. The toggles work well if the core is empty but it is likely that they are filled.

James

Glennbear

Glenn
I am a fan of Tap Con also but I would caution that you be sure drilling dust is vacuumed/blown out of the hole before you drive your fastener. DAMHIKT :eusa_doh: :wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am a fan of Tap Con also but I would caution that you be sure drilling dust is vacuumed/blown out of the hole before you drive your fastener. DAMHIKT :eusa_doh: :wsmile:

and if you blow out the holes wear a mask.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Duct tape...lots. Sorry I'm not a jump on the bandwagon type of guy. But Tap-cons probably would work better.

Dave:)

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
Thanks ALL,I will look into the Tap-Cons, thanks. 2nd ?

These are support colums, will drilling them create any potential issues I should be aware of?

steviegwood

New User
Steven
I don't think that you will run into any issues unless you put such a load on the that you were to rip them out of the wall and I don't think you will load it that heavy. I would however use three inch tapcons if you are going through a 1&1/2" 2"x4". Pre drill the wood and put sets of two screws no farther than 12" apart and it should hold anything that you want to put on it. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors