Assembly Table and Tool Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semmons23

New User
Steve
These are still a work in progress but so far I really like them. The assembly table is loosely based on The Wood Whisperers design but I made it a little smaller and put it on wheels. The torsion box is very nice. It was easy to build and is very flat and strong. Still need to wrap it with some maple - debating on adding 8/4 so I can add some bench dogs and a Veritas Bench Puppy - I really think this would be helpful since I don't have a real bench or much clamping. Doors are actually installed with euro hinges but I haven't taken a picture. This cabinet was the first I've built and it didn't come out great because as it turned out, there was bow in the bottom panel so I could never get is square. I did the best I could and learned a ton so it served its purpose.

One lessoned learned was that Good 1 Side, Prefinished doesn't just mean its good 1 side, it's also only finished on 1 side. Not what I expected and probably led to the bow. Don't have a truck so I had it delivered...next time I'll ask more questions.

Another lesson learned is that your first set of doors probably shouldn't have mitered stiles and rails and if they are, you really need a band clamp with 90 degree blocks. Miters slide really nicely under clamping pressure! What a PITA.

The tool cabinet was specifically designed in Sketchup to support by Planer, Mortiser and Drill press. I put the mortiser and drill press on side ways so the length of wood would not be a problem by hitting another tool. For far so good. Still need to add some doors to it as well but these aren't built yet.

Once again, issue getting is square but this time was because I assumed :nah: that the factory edge was perfectly square. Well it wasn't so that threw off one edge. When I put the dado in, it lined up perfectly with the outer edge but that meant 2 shelves where parallelagrams (spelling?) not rectangles. I cut them to fit and slid them in from the back. Front is flush but back isn't but its covered by 1/4" ply so you can't see it. Another lesson learned and a very useful product so - I got what I wanted.

I'll update this when/if I ever get them done :cool:

Last edited:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Sturdy and portable...hard to beat that. BTW, that is a nice planer you have there (not that I am biased toward the Delta :wink_smil ).

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I love the assembly table and I think your doors look very nice. I've not mitered frame and panel doors before but, after seeing yours, I'll definitely give it a go.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Nice work! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I finally got my shop somewhat organized today and I need a space efficient way to store my planer, drill press, grinder and jointer. I might have to borrow your idea. :wink_smil

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Shop projects are a great way to learn new techniques, such as building cabinets. Makes for great storage too. I think the assembly table and doors came out great! :eusa_clap I like the idea of wrapping the table with some thick stock and make it a combination assembly table/ work bench. And I can sympathize on the problems getting things square. It's such a basic thing but I struggle with it every project. It's what always infuriates me on all the woodworking shows, because when they check it for square it is ALWAYS dead on.

Of course, the real problem isn't cutting things out of square, it's that there is no natural-wood-looking caulk! :rolf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS