Assembly Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
If I were to build this clothes rack made from galvanized pipe, how would I tighten the center horizontal bar? The only solution I could come up with is to grind off the threads and put a screw through the coupling into the pipe on each end. The ideal solution would be to reverse thread the pipe on one end, but I don't have any metalworking equipment.

DIY-Pipe-Clothing-Rack-11-600x734.jpg

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Without seeing it up close I can only think of 2 ways to do that as pictured.

1) since the center pipe is more of a lateral stabilizer, 1 side could have been over tightened, engage the opposite side and just barely start the threads essentially having both ends partially seated in the fitting.

2) drill out the fitting and turn the pipe OD then cut straight threads on and in each end instead of tapered pipe threads.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A union is akin to a coupling that can be taken apart without removing either segment from the pipe. As this is a clothes rack, I would recommend using the union on one of the side legs so as to allow complete use of the horizontal bars for coat hangers. Another option is a dresser coupling for the side. It's a compression fitting where an unthreaded end of the pipe is inserted and a rubber gasket is forced against it by a nut and washer configuration.

Last edited:

ehpoole

Ethan
Without seeing it up close I can only think of 2 ways to do that as pictured.

1) since the center pipe is more of a lateral stabilizer, 1 side could have been over tightened, engage the opposite side and just barely start the threads essentially having both ends partially seated in the fitting.

2) drill out the fitting and turn the pipe OD then cut straight threads on and in each end instead of tapered pipe threads.

Looking at the photo close up, I suspect #1 as there is much more visible threading on the lower pipe. They may also have retapped one side so that they could more easily thread extra to one side and then backed off that side some to thread the opposite side.

Of course, if this were mass produced they could simply have had either one tee (in the middle) or one elbow (up top) and one side of the piping manufactured with left-hand threads so that both sides would tighten simultaneously.

But it is also an option to drill the threads out of one side of one fitting and tap and install one or two setscrews to secure everything and it would still visually appear as if it were screwed together.

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
This may or may not be helpful but...could you use PVC? I have something very similar that I initially made to hold my fishing rods. Now it holds clamps. It's very sturdy.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
A union is akin to a coupling that can be taken apart without removing either segment from the pipe. As this is a clothes rack, I would recommend using the union on one of the side legs so as to allow complete use of the horizontal bars for coat hangers. Another option is a dresser coupling for the side. It's a compression fitting where an unthreaded end of the pipe is inserted and a rubber gasket is forced against it by a nut and washer configuration.

Dennis, would you be kind enough to post links to a union and a dressing coupler? I'm unable to find them. They sound like good solutions.

Chris, I thought about PVC, but the rack is for clothes in storage, and they are very heavy.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I cannot recall ever seeing a left hand pipe threader or die as a common (or uncommon) tool. Likely as not the over threading and backing out option was taken on this.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Here is a galvanized pipe union. About $5 for a 1/2" size from Lowes. The center piece unscrews revealing two mating flat ends on other two pieces. You can screw each one onto pipe which is right hand threaded and then screw the center piece on to pull the two end pieces together. A picture is attached. Ugly, isn't it.

I think the best way might be to remove the threads from one end of the center pipe, but don't shorten it's length. Just grind the threaded area off. Make sure that the threadless end will slide into the T that it's to mate with. Then assemble the frame, slipping this pipe into it's T while you tighten the other end of the pipe into it's mating T. When all is together, then drill a hole through the threadless end of the pipe and it's associated T and put a bolt through the hole with a nut and lock washer on the back side.

Charley

Attachments

• 636660609033sm.jpg
    636660609033sm.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

ehpoole

Ethan
I cannot recall ever seeing a left hand pipe threader or die as a common (or uncommon) tool. Likely as not the over threading and backing out option was taken on this.

See: http://www.sustainablesupply.com/Anvil-Right-Left-Hand-Nipple-1-1-2-4-In-Steel-0334534609-C1919517

...For a 4" length of pipe (nipple) with left and right hand threads. The taps and dies are also available online with standard pipe tapers.

And for the taps: http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/LH-Taps-Metric-and-Pipe-Sizes/1305.html (scroll down a bit)

Not especially common, but not too hard to come by, either, if needed....especially if something like this is being mass produced where anything that saves time and/or simplifies assembly can quickly add up to big savings. But if you look hard enough, you might just find the fitting you need already exists with the proper mix of left and right hand threads to enable simple assembly (or maybe not, but it does not hurt to look first as you might luck out).

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS